Chapter 4

Chapter 4

            As I enter the coffee shop, the bell jiggles, indicating a new customer – or in this case, me – entering. The sense of déjà vu hit me; I was taken back to the coffee shop in New York; though the surrounding is different. The shop in New York is much brighter, it doesn’t have romantic atmosphere around. As for this coffee shop, the lights are dim and you could see couples drinking their coffee or having a chat everywhere.

            I place my very drenched umbrella on the umbrella holder along with many other umbrellas. I can finally see the huge difference between New York and London. There are only a few New Yorkers – me included – who bring a small umbrella with them just in case it rains or when the weather is too hot and might cause the skin to burn; whereas Londoners bring umbrellas everywhere as London is most well known for their rainfall capacity. 

            This isn’t just small drizzle; this is rain that will cause you to drench with lightning or storm here and there. Which explain my drench coat and hair that attract attention from people inside the coffee shop; it doesn’t help much either at the fact whenever I walk, the boots I’m wearing would cause a squeaky sound.

            I walk towards an empty booth and slip in; taking off my drench coat and using a tissue paper to dry my drench hair. A waitress who shot me a pity smile came and takes my order. I gave her my usual “Cheesecake and a cup of hot chocolate would suffice.” As a former waitress myself, I know how annoying it is when customers only ordered a drink and nothing else. That explains why I always order at least one desert to go with the drink. Few minutes later, the waitress came back with my drink and cheesecake.

            “Here you go.” She said before turning and leaving.

            I sat there in silent. I watch children playing with puddles of water at the sidewalk, and couples who shared one umbrella and parents with baby crib walking towards the opposite sidewalk. Those people are lucky; they have caring parents, a person whom they could called boyfriend or girlfriend and maybe get married someday and those children who are playing with puddles of water has the freedom I never had as a child. As I watch people and car pass by, a familiar figure walking into the coffee shop caught my eye.

            The bell jiggles again, signaling another customer entering the coffee shop. The familiar figure step in and place his also drench umbrella on the umbrella holder. He still has his back at me yet it looks familiar. He looks like… he turned around and my breath hitched.

            Joshua.

            He scans the coffee shop to look for an empty booth but they are all occupied. When his eyes found me though, he smile softly at me and approached me. Oh no, he is coming. I should run now. But I can’t. I found myself rooted on the same spot and my feet won’t move. Before I knew it, he is standing right in front of me with the smile still on his face.

            “Mind if I join you?” he asked to which I just nodded, too afraid to speak.

            He slips into the seat across mine and order an Americano. Still his favourite, I see. He used to drink Americano every morning before he left for work and when he is stressing on his work. I remember because he would ask me to make a cup of Americano for him plus we were together for quite sometimes.

            “You make the best Americano I’ve ever taste. I don’t think I would ever want to drink if it’s not made by you.” He’d say.

            I’m guessing he had forgotten what he had said and has move on happily like we never had a past before. The thought cause a pain to twinge inside my chest; I guess not everyone is over and has move on yet.