Death & Ghosts | 03

The weeks turned to months and nothing had changed, I still was alone and working at the diner, fending off intoxicated and touchy old men who had nobody to go home to. The only entertainment came from the small and quick banter that was traded between Gary and I as we passed each other on the off occasion. But still, that wasn't enough to fill the endless hours of spare time that I found on my hands, suddenly my home was clean and freshly painted with a prefect garden.

Janice had reduced my hours and suddenly I was worried about how I was going to pay the bills and with the debt of moving on top of it all, I was drowning—even the cost of petrol has tears stinging at my eyes. I couldn't believe how fast my incoming bills had begun to stack up, leaving me with no other choice but to cut down on my weekly groceries and forgo using my heater at all. 

Every time I saw the envelopes tucked under the little mail house my stomach churned, I wasn't sure how long I could go like this; I had nobody to turn to and I refused to let it get so bad that I would be evicted. Everything was mounting on my plate and I didn't even have any friends to express my pain to. I was slowly but surely losing what little amount of sanity I had left.

I swallowed my pride and walked down to the only bar in town, cringing at the stale smell that emitted for the shabby structure. I knew the man who owned the bar; he was a regular at the diner as well as a regular sleaze. I knew the second I stepped inside I'd be on the receiving end of many foul comments but I was already losing weight and a sick sheen had covered my already pale skin.  

The bar was dark as I looked around to see the men sitting around the bar front, their overflowing beers matching their round stomachs as they strained against their too tight shirts. If I thought the diner was uncomfortable, this bar was going to be quite a shock to my system. I could already feel the eyes following me around, this town had its fair share of old dirty men.

The small bald owner came around the corner, his yellow teeth glinting in the dim light. "Ya'll, look it's little ol' Audrey." I felt like clearing my throat when I noticed his eyes hadn't strayed from my clothed chest. This man was about as subtle as a freight train, and it was making me that much more uncomfortable.   

"I was wondering Jeff, if you had any available working positions." My voice sounded weak to even my own ears. 

If it was even possible, his smile became wider. "Of course we do Audrey, anything for a mighty young bird like you. You can start tonight, just man the bar and refill any empty glasses." I sighed with relief and felt a surge of hope, maybe the bills would be paid. 

I nodded and jumped behind the bar, not about to turn down a shift. My mind was occupied while I filled up the beer glasses that were getting dangerously low. I tried to decide whether heating or hot water was more important when the doors opened and the one and only Gary walked in with a voluptuous blonde on his arm. Her high pitched laugh made me wince.  

I tried not to feel jealous but I couldn't help it. Gary had said he hadn't any friends in town but now I wasn't so sure—those two looked awfully cosy. I blushed when Jeff yelled my name, gaining the attention of everyone in the bar, including Gary and his arm candy.

"Oh yeah Jeff. Sorry, what do you want?" My face was tight and the fake smile I had perfected long ago slid across my face, holding my expression of disgust at bay as Jeff lingered too close to me, leaving me trapped between his pot belly and the bar.

His breath smelt faintly of alcohol and onions, not a very appealing combination. "Could you be a doll and go take orders and drinks?" I smiled and manoeuvred around his large body trying to get away while he took it as a chance to feel me up. I shivered, gagging from the disgusting feeling that was radiating all over my body.