Lies and Goodbyes

Breathe in, Breathe out. Breathe in, Breathe out.

I tried to keep a steady rhythm as I ran on the school track. My loosely tied tennis shoes pounded the ground at a regular pace. My muddy brown hair was slipping out of its loose ponytail and the brisk chill had turned my cheeks red.

Oh God, no. I internally groaned as the worshiped football jocks sauntered onto the field in the center of the track in their purple and white uniforms. They caught sight of me and snickered as I tripped over my own feet. My face got an even darker shade of red with embarrassment. I tore my eyes away from them tand focused on running. I hated running. The only reason I was out in the cold doing physical exercise was because I had to make-up a day of gym class when I had been absent. I hurried to the finish by pumping my legs faster, I wanted to get out of the stuck up football players’ sights.

I slowed to a jog and approached my gym teacher, Mrs. O’Hearn, who was standing on the side of the track with a clipboard in hand. “Okay, I did my eight laps.”

She didn’t even look up as she grumbled “Alright Janice, you can go” and wrote down my time. I almost asked how fast I finished but I didn’t really want to know. It would probably just depress me. Plus, if any of the football guys overheard my slow time, I’d be known as even more of a complete loser.

“Thanks,” I told Mrs. O’Hearn, “have a nice day.”

“Humph” was her only response so I turned and walked toward the school. Chantilly High School. Home of the Chargers.

I opened the door to the gym and ducked into the girl’s locker room before anyone could see me. I looked especially gross in the gym uniform. The drapey gray shirts were way too big and the dark shorts were long and heavy.

I changed into my regular clothes. Jeans and a Volcom sweatshirt. I took a look in the bathroom mirror.

Ew. I thought to myself as I patted down my disheveled hair, No wonder those boys were laughing at me. I look so ugly.

I brushed my face over with powder to get rid of some of the redness and traced my eyes with another coat of dark eyeliner. Okay, at least I don’t look like the walking dead anymore. I shrugged and walked out of the locker room and into the main part of the school.

The halls were practically deserted. Every once and awhile I’d pass a couple making out or a group of snobby girls gossiping or a few kids with baggy pants and greasy hair getting lectured by school administrators. Typical high schoolers. I spun the dial on my locker and started to lazily put in my combination. It swung open to reveal my torn up backpack (kept together by duct tape alone) and a note sitting on the upper shelf of my little metal cubby. I straightened out the carefully folded piece of paper and read it.

Ewwww...It’s another love note from John. John was this guy who was completely obsessed with me. He didn’t really take the hint that he was friend-zoned for life. Contrary to popular belief, it is not every girl’s dream to have a boy who would do anything you asked for in a heartbeat and worships the ground you walk on. In reality, its just really frikin annoying. He’s gotta get over me someday. I don’t know how more clearly I can put the words “I DON’T LIKE YOU” without screaming them at him straight up. Hmm....maybe I should just do that and get it over with.

I bounced the idea around in my head as I slung my heavy backpack over my shoulders, slammed my locker closed, and made my way towards the front of the school.

I took out my cell phone as I walked.

No New Messages my screen read. Figures.

“Oof!” I exclaimed as I ran into something hard. I looked up with a sheepish smile expecting it to be a school official but ended up being captivated by a pair of bright grey eyes. Dark shaggy hair fell onto his pale face. I recognized him instantly. It was Levi. Levi Johnson. He was the kind of player that girls fell for even though they knew he would leave them in a few short weeks. Every pretty girl thought they would be 'the one' to finally make him fall in love. Yeah right. He left a trail of heatbreak and broken promises behind him. But even knowing that I still felt a rush when I looked up at him.

“Watch where you're going.” He snarled and shoved his way around me.

I shook my head and resumed walking; muttering swear words under my breath as I made my way out of the school and started to walk home.