Chapter 1

The land of Oz is known to many, if not all. The story of Dorothy is a classic tale loved by people of all ages. Oz, however, wasn't always the land we all know and love, after all everything has to have a beginning. While we all love the story of the farm girl and her dog, there are particular details that had been altered or left unsaid about this magical land. I shall do my very best to set the facts apart from the fiction and tell you the true story of how OZ and all who lived there came to be. With all this in mind, let us begin our story.

The wizard of Oz was once a young man and was, indeed, a most powerful wizard. Like many who possessed the ability to preform magic he had two options. Go into hiding for all his life, or show the world his magic as a magician and resort to smaller and simpler spells. he spent all his life waiting for the day magic would be accepted by everyone, the day magic would no longer be one of the many fears of those without the ability to cast spells. He didn't know it, but among the wizard community, though it is small, he was known as the most powerful. He never practiced large spells, and was against curses. The Wizard stuck to simple magic that could be mistaken as simple party tricks. As an adult he made an honest living preforming them. As he grew older he found the need for all with magic to be accepted, grew stronger. People had begun to realize he wasn't preforming party tricks at all. though he barely tried to hide it as he aged.

One day he found that he was capable of higher caliber spells and thought to himself "What if I was to create a world specifically for wizards and witches?", This question haunted his thoughts for years. Sadly he didn't know how to cast such a spell. Years past, and every day, until he became an old man, he would spend all his time researching. Eventually he found an answer to his life long question. While there was no spell that could create a new world that would exist along side the world we all know, he found he could create a spell to fulfill his dream. After many failed attempts his efforts had payed off and the land of OZ was born. The world certainly seemed like a land that lay somewhere over the rainbow. In reality it exists within the same space you live in today. A world that exists among us, all around us, but can't be seen unless you possess magic or know someone who does. Most who sought OZ were non-magic folk and any one with magic refused to help in getting them there. The only non-magic people allowed to enter OZ were those who had been mistreated by the world and sought an escape.

Here I am getting ahead of myself again, I'm quite sorry about that, let us try again. The story of OZ begin not long after the wizard created it. Much like the story you know this one begins on a farm in Kansas. It begins with a girl named Glinda. Glinda was the youngest of four daughters, her family hiding on a secluded farm away from the hatred of magic, for all of her family was born with magic in their blood. The four young girls lived with their father. Their mother had passed away just a few summers ago and the adjustment was taking it's time. Each daughter taking on additional tasks every day. Glinda had three sisters, Ferrel the oldest, and the twins Kaitie and Kathy. All the girls got along remarkably well. And today just as any other day Glinda could be found slacking off in the barn practicing her magic. "what do you think, Melissa? Are you gonna talk today?" she asked her favorite of the cows. Melissa didn't make a sound, she is just a cow after all. Glinda thought as hard as she could then pointed her wand at the animal.

A dim light escaped the wand and landed on Melissa's head. "Mellisa?...Can you understand me?" Glinda asked with a whisper. when the cow didn't answer she sighed and stuffed her wand in her boot. "we can try again tomorrow." she said just as Ferrel came running in the barn "Glinda come quick!" she said out of breath, her face tinted red and her hair starting to frizz from the humidity. "Ferrel? what's going on?" Glinda asked worried "A powerful wizard has come to see papa. Now come on!" Ferrel says as she grabs her little sister's hand pulling her along behind her as Glinda tries to keep up. The two run in the house and hide around the corner peaking into the room with the twins. "Who is that?" Glinda whispers "It's him." Kathy answers in the same whisper. "Him who?" Ferrel asks "The wizard!" Katie whisper yells "No way, I heard he died." Glinda says in disbelief, "Then why is he in our house, Glinda?" The twins ask in unison. "You can come in young ladies." The visitor says not turning around to look at them. The four girls sheepishly stood up from their crouching positions and walked into the room to stand beside where their father sat. "Girls, this is the Wizard." Their father spoke. The wizard, though thought dead, was so extremely aged he appeared as if he had been raised from the grave. Tired and worn out, but not malnourished in the slightest. His eyes the only sign that he was still living, for the spark of life cannot be replicated with any form of magic. His wrinkled hands clutched his walking stick as he held it upright in front of where he was seated. "very nice to meet you." The four girls said with a nod. "It is nice to meet you as well. I have been talking with your father. I came here today to ask something of each of you." The Wizard said with a smile so warm you knew he was a man who wished well to all. "What is it?" Ferrel asked "I have created a world for people of magic and those the world has cast out. I, in my old age, will not be able to ensure the land runs smoothly." The four exchange a look of confusion. Why would the great and powerful wizard share such a thing with four young and inexperienced witches?