By the Pier

I wrote this on a bus, because I was bored and my phone was dead. My only form of entertainment was a pen and a refill pad. After getting bored of playing noughts and crosses with myself, this happened. I have an idea to make it into a proper full - length thing. Tell me if you think that that's something I should do...

***

"Do you want to go pier jumping?" he asked me, a child-like grin on his face.

"Pier-jumping?" I replied sceptically, trying to imagine myself jumping from a height into icy cold water.

"It'll be fun," he promised, his eyes widening, begging me to agree.

"Fine," I smiled up at him, suppressing the groan threatening to erupt as I thought of the cold, cold water. I had known this guy four days, and he already had me wrapped around his little finger. I was worried I was falling for this guy - dangerous territory, he seemed fairly straight... I'd never fallen for a straight guy before - possibly the only gay guy in the world that could say that - and I was feeling uncomfortable in these unfamiliar waters, even worse at the thought of jumping in the deep end. Literally, pier jumping wasn't really my thing.

Sitting on the side of the pier, dangling my feet above the water, I enjoyed the summer sun. The sea was calm, clear enough that I could see the bottom. Clumps of seaweed marred the view slightly, but nothing is perfect. The shells that I could see, dotting the sand, made up for the seaweed.

We were the only ones at the pier - it was next to the caravan site we were both staying in. It was pretty rundown, and quiet, despite it being the height of summer. That was how we had gotten to know each other.

Neither of us had cars or bikes so we were stuck out in the middle of nowhere, while the other teenagers went into town. Not that I was complaining - despite it's flaws, the site and the pier were lovely, and in fairness, I did have some pretty good company to keep me company.

I turned around, laughing as I heard the shouted "whoop" behind me and the padding of running feet. With a scream and a splash, he destroyed the pristine ocean. A shock of ripples exploded from where he landed and I could see him swimming underwater.

He turned somersaults underwater, and kicked his legs like a mermaid... Wait, no, sorry, merman... That guy is definitely male. Well, if my completely fantastic fantasies were anything to go by. And by fantasy I mean completely impossible, unbeliavable and still awesome - inspired by the many times I'd seen him in just his swimming trunks. Gotta love summer....

He broke to the surface, and looked around, wildly. His eyes were bright, lit up by the mixture of sea and sun. Catching my eye, he winked, before diving back under, this time propelling himself towards the ladder.

As he reached the top he shook his head like a dog, his wild hair drenching me. Growling at him, I moved our towels so they didn't suffer the same fate that I had. He came over to me and wrapped me in a bear hug, soaking every inch of my body. I growled again, as he laughed at my feeble attempts to escape his clutches.

"Come in with me?" He looked from me to the water, a slight smile on his face. I looked at the gap between the top of the pier and the water, and suddenly discovered a fear of heights. My heart rate quickened and my stomach turned to lead.

"No," I replied quickly, voice shaking.

"Please?"

"No."

"I'll carry you."

"No- Wait, what?" I asked, puzzled.

How did he plan on jumping in while carrying someone? And is that not even more dangerous?

"Me and my brother do it all the time," he tried to reassure me. "You get on my back, I'll give you a piggy back, and jump in. I'll keep hold of you, and it'll be really safe. I promise. In fact, I... I pinky-promise."

He held out his fist to me, closed apart from his baby finger. His eyes were wide, innocent and trustworthy. Internally I groaned. Just cause he had me wrapped around his little finger, didn't mean he had to flaunt it and tease me. Although it's not like he had any idea the effect he had on me. Stupid, beautiful boy.

"Promise it won't hurt?" I asked, sceptically, hopefully.

He nodded, looking me straight in the eye, holding his hand towards mine.

I twisted my finger around his, before moving around to his back. He crouched and I clambered onto his broad back. He took two quick step back, as I clung on for dear life. My stomach flipflopped at both our proximity and what we were about to do, the feeling of lead being replaced by the feeling of butterflies... He started to run to the edge of the pier, my nerves causing the butterflies to fly up my throat and into my mouth.

He leaped from the edge, but instead cannonballing like I expected, he did a flip just before we hit the water. I was totally unprepared and smashed into the water, my face and side flopping into the water.

My face and ribs screamed in agony as I hit the water at an awkward angle. I moaned in pain as I resurfaced, and he stared at me in shock, watching me as unwanted tears sprang to my eyes. My side was burning, screaming at me.

"Oh, shit, I'm so sorry," he apologized in a rush, as he pulled me towards him and started towing me towards the slipway. "I'm used to doing this with my brother and he's used to me doing crazy shit like that." He apologized repeatedly , sitting me down on the slip and kneeling in front of me. He turned my face from side to side and inspected the reddening mess on my torso.

"I promised it wouldn't hurt, I pinky promised, ugh, god, I'm such an asshole..." The apologies kinda petered off as he started to just give out to himself about being an ass and breaking a promise.

"Please don't hate me," he murmured, running his cool fingers across the reddened skin on my face and ribs. It was pretty clear that I was gonna have some epic bruises in the morning. He pulled me into a quick hug, snuggling his head into the crook of my neck.

"I can't hate you," I whispered back, drunk on pain and the feeling of his fingers. "I like you too much." He stared at me for a moment, an unreadable emotion in his eyes, his fingers stopping their cooling path across my chest.

"You like me?" he asked, a weird inflection in his voice.

"Of course..." I coughed awkwardly, unsure of what he was thinking.

We stared at each other, not talking, just silent for a long moment.

***

"And then he kissed me," I told my best friend, telling her about my summer romance.

"He sounds amazing," she sighed, leaning her head against my shoulder.

"C'mon, do you want to hear the rest of the story or not?" I exclaimed, bringing her back to the matter at hand.

***

So... Do you want to hear the rest of the story? I can write at least one more chapter. Or I can turn it into a book. Up to you. Also, I'mma dedicate this to @masonmadness for being one of my new favourite authors....

-Ais

xx