A Student's Perspective

The student just sat in the chair. Legs folded and hands wound together and resting on her knee, a blank expression was placed on her face. The principal walked in and sat across from her with his desk in between them. No real emotion on his face, just stubbornness. He threw the papers and keys he had been carrying on his desk and lifted his eyes to study the student in front of him. They looked at each other directly in the eye; with only their soft breaths floating through the air. The principal waited for the student to back down like the others, but she didn't. 

He finally spoke and said, "Would you like to say something?"

"Why should I?"

"Don't you want to defend yourself?" the principal inquired. Every student he'd had in this spot before had jumped to defending themselves just to fill the silence. That was his strategy: allow them to be their own downfall. The truth always eventually came out. But his strategy was going to have to be modified for this situation-this student obviously had it firmly in her mind that she was right.

"Why should I?" The student repeated, "You seem to have no doubt in your mind that you're right and I'm wrong. What use is it to try and change your mind if it is so firmly placed?"

"You're clever with words. Why is it I've never heard of you? I thought you were a new student, but I just read your file you’ve been a part of this school system since first grade."

"Did your reading, huh?” She briefly smirked, before returning to her stoic expression. “Good grades, quiet in class, it's not that hard. And your staff is nothing above the standard, no special people.” A chuckle. “No offense."

At this point the principal was very impressed how each answer came so naturally. There was absolutely no hesitation. The principal was astonished, yet thrilled at the idea of a challenge.

He rearranged his face to a sly and knowing expression before saying, “You seem very calm. Many students are unable to sit across from me and give me intelligent answers.”

"Just because I'm acting that way doesn't mean I am." He tried not to show how much this student irked him. 

"Then you're a good actress, maybe you should consider taking drama." The principal said with a slight chuckle-maybe some humor will loosen her up. The student barely moved, only a flicker of her dark eyes betrayed that she had heard.

"You are very interesting, you know. I've never had a student like you before." The principal was getting anxious now. Those dark eyes boring into his had nothing behind them-just blank. It was time to make his next move. "So let me ask you, do you know why you are here?"

"Yes, you and your staff seem to think I have broken a rule."

"You don't think so?"

"No."

The principal sighed. This one was stubborn; he had never seen a student so confident and the longer this went on, the more he wanted to finish up so he could get to his lunch break.

He snapped to attention when the student shifted for the first time since he had entered his office. Now she was sitting up straight and her hands on her knees in front of her. "Though," she said, "I would like to review the events with you from a student’s perspective."

"What? Why, isn't what happened just a fact? There is only one way to tell how an event occurred. What happened, happened. What difference does it make to a student?"

At this point the student was laughing slightly which caught the principal's attention. Just a small movement of her shoulders betrayed it. Suddenly, it stopped and the student sighed.

"This is why you never get the real story. The only way for you to get someone is to have a student tell you. No matter how many staff members you have, no matter how many threats you make, you would never get the right person without a double-crosser."

"How can you say that? We always get the right person. We always get it out of them." The principal smiled to himself, remembering all his accomplishments. Just thinking about them made him happy. 

"That is my point." The student said. Now on a roll she was gesturing with her hands. "The student told you. You didn't find out yourself. What happens when we all suddenly become loyal to each other? When no one feels like doing the ‘right thing’ and we stay silent? What will you do then? Accuse the last person you had in this chair? You know by using the students every time, you’re not gaining respect for you or your staff. All you’re doing is telling the students ‘Look at your fellow classmate who snitched on you! He did our job for us!’ And since that’s the case, why aren’t the tattle tales getting paid?"

How dare this student throw such words around in his office! Doesn’t she know he has the power to suspend her? He could not only give a quick call to her parents, but he could put a permanent mark on her record! He felt his chest swell with anger and humiliation, however being the professional he is, he restrained himself from doing something rash.

“Puts a bitter taste in your mouth doesn’t it?” She interrupted his self-ordered cool down, probably to stir the pot some more. “Now since I am no snitch and the only proof you have that I did anything is from a small rumor you heard during passing time, I’m gonna go.”

She stood up from her chair and turned to go. “You can’t leave!” The principal exclaimed.

“Watch me.”

. . .

Three weeks later

It was another long day. There was a food fight in the cafeteria and the principal wondered why he hadn’t retired yet-he was certainly due for it. Sitting at his desk, he rubbed his face before turning to his computer to answer his emails. He seemed to remember the school newspaper needing a quote from him.

“Sir?” His secretary poked her head through his door. She was nice enough, although he wondered if he really had so many appointments that he actually needed her. To be honest, she was more useful for making sure there weren’t students asking to see him when he was busy.

He gave her a wave and said, “Come in.”

She walked in and had a manila folder in her arms. He looked up at her and she said, “We have a new student coming in and I thought you should look at her transcript.”

Why would she think that? He never looked at a student’s transcript, which was usually dealt with at the attendance office. He looked at his secretary questionably.

“This student is just different than the others.” With that she handed him the folder and walked out the door.

He opened the file and glanced at the name. Last name didn’t ring a bell. None of the health information gave anything away. Flipping to the classes and list of co-curricular activities, he raised an eyebrow. Impressive. All honors and AP classes, all A’s, numerous clubs and sports, seemed to him she would be a star student. He noted that she was a senior this year. He could see why his secretary wanted him to see this; she would definitely be the top of her class if her records stated anything.

The principal sighed and went to close the folder but picture fell out and floated to the floor. He bent down to pick it up and threw it onto his desk with the file. Turning away, he glimpsed the picture in the corner of his eye. Jerking his head back to the glistening photo he felt a little faint. It couldn’t be.

There, smiling at him was that student that walked right out of his office a few weeks ago. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He rushed out of his office to the file cabinets behind the front desk. Yanking out the third one down, he scanned the tabs, searching for that one name he would never forget. He reached the back of the drawer without finding what he was looking for. Cursing under his breath, he started looking again.

“Sir, are you alright?”

The principal nearly jumped out of his pants. His heart beat erratically; he could feel the blood rushing in his ears. He took a deep breath and said, “I’m fine. Just looking for a student’s file.” Grabbing a random folder, he turned around and without glancing at anyone he said, “Found it.” And walked back to his office.