1. Something Unexpected

Sebastian Barkwith awoke early on the morning of his eighteenth birthday. Anticipation of what lay ahead of him today meant that he had hardly slept at all. He was already out of bed and dressed in his Sunday Best when Mary, the maid, knocked softly on the door and came in, her lop-eared rabbit hopping contentedly at her feet. "The Mistress would like you to come down to breakfast at eight," she said as she knelt at the hearth to light the fire. Then she smiled. "Oh, and happy birthday, Mr Barkwith."

Sebastian smiled back. It would be hard getting used to that; Mister instead of Master. But he was an adult now and by the end of the day he would have his Guardian Spirit to prove it. "Thank you, Mary." He glanced down at the rabbit, resisting the urge to kneel and pet it. Touching another person's Guardian spirit was the height of bad ettiquette. "Can I ask you something, Mary?"

"Of course, Mr Barkwith." She sat back on her heels, wiping her sooty hands on her long grey skirt.

"How did you feel, when you got your rabbit? Were you disappointed?"

"Oh no, Mr Barkwith, not at all. I adore him." She patted her knees and the rabbit hopped up into her lap. It stood on its hindlegs and nuzzled Mary's cheek. "People get what they give, Mr Barkwith, if you get my drift."

Sebastian nodded. "Or what they need, maybe," he said, almost to himself. "My father was a Rabbit," he added softly.

Breakfast with his mother was even more tense than usual. He preferred to take his morning meal in his room but as today was a special day, this formality could not be avoided. "Sebastian," she said, eyeing him up and down, inspecting his morning suit and his hair. "Is that the best you can do?"

"Mother!" He glared at her and sat down at the table while Mary brought his breakfast; eggs Benedict, toast, orange juice. He ate silently for a few minutes. "A 'Happy Birthday' would have been nice you know. I'm eighteen today."

Mrs Barkwith stirred her tea, the silver spoon rattling loudly on the cup. "I expect your Spirit to be something of status, Sebastian. I shall be terribly disappointed if you take after your father." There was a low growl from beside her chair and Sebastian glanced uncomfortably at the skinny jackal whose yellow eyes were fixed on him with something like hunger. Sebastian had always hated that beast.

"Of course Mother," he said without looking at her. "You'll never live down the shame with your Salon friends if I get a mouse or a sheep. Or a rabbit." Sebastian swallowed hard. He wasn't sure he could live with the shame of a mouse or a sheep either but a rabbit, he would possibly be content with because of his father. Rather that than a jackal.

After breakfast was done there was hardly any time to worry about it and by ten o'clock Sebastian was sitting in a steam carriage on the way to the Grand Technomancer's Hall for the first of several formal receptions of the day. Sebastian forced a smile on his face and kept it there for what felt like hours as he shook hands and received congratulations from members of his extended family, most of whom he had never seen before. There was Uncle Percy, his face florid red and his expansive waistline threatening to burst out of his tweed suit. Percy's ginger Tamworth pig snuffled the ground at his feet.

"Sebastian, old boy!" Percy bellowed cheerfully as he gave Sebasian a hearty pat on the back that almost knocked him over. "Congratulations boy, happy birthday, now don't be nervous old chap." He lowered his voice a little, "and don't let that old hag hassle you if you end up with something she doesn't approve of. Any trouble, you just let me know, I'll sort her out." He winked and tapped the side of his nose.

Sebastian continued to mingle, as was proper, and was surprised to find that one of the guests was Prime Minister Sir Henry Proudmoor, along with the ever-present raven perched on his shoulder. Sebastian recognised him from pictures he'd seen in the newspapers. "I knew your father," Proudmoor explained as he shook Sebastian's hand. "Years ago, we were at university together. Such a tragedy."

"It wasn't a tragedy, Sir," Sebastian answered coldly. "It was murder."

As the reception drew to a close, a steward rang a bell to announce the start of the ceremony. Only close family would be permitted in the main hall while the Prime Minister and other guests were escorted to the main dining hall for a formal luncheon. Sebastian was glad he hadn't skipped breakfast; it would be several hours before he would get any lunch.

A Technomancer came forward, accompanied by his strange Guardian; some kind of large lizard creature that Sebastian did not recognise. He placed a white hooded cloak around Sebastian's shoulders and took off his top hat so he could raise the hood. Then, in silence, he followed the Technomancer into the Grand Hall and stood before the great Steam Altar. Upon the altar was a large Van der Graaf generator; a glass globe inside of which bolts of lightning flickered and flashed. Sebastian stood where he was directed while the Technomancer addressed the assembled congregation.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are gathered here today to witness the coming of age of Mr Sebastian Clarence Torrington Barkwith and the manifestation of his Guardian Spirit. We have faith that the Power of Science will prevail and the Spirit that Sebastian shall receive will be that most suited to him and his future purpose in life."

The Technomancer turned to Sebastian. "Don't worry lad, it might be a little uncomfortable but it won't last long. Now, put your hands on the glass."

Sebastian took a deep breath and placed the palms of his hands against the generator's glass globe. Immediately he felt a jolt of static and pulled back in shock but he steeled himself and put them back. The lightning in the globe seemed attracted to him and flashed against the glass where his hands touched it. He closed his eyes and felt every hair on his body stand on end as the energy seemed to flow into him. Into, and through, and out again. There was a pain, tearing, splitting in his head and he cried out but he dare not move his hands. He had heard of people who had broken contact before the process was complete; they had never received their Guardian Spirit and few lived for long after that. Like his father, after his rabbit was...

Sebastian's thoughts were interrupted by a sudden loud sound like a thunderclap in the air as something materialised out of nothing. Gasps from the assembled congregation of Sebastian's family, followed by stunned silence.

Don't tell me, I got a mouse.

Cautiously Sebastian opened his eyes, looking at the ground beside him. Not a mouse. A large paw, golden-furred. His eyes followed the thick strong leg up to where it attached to the body of a large and very magnificent maned lion. Stunned, Sebastian's knees gave way and he sank to the floor. The lion came forward, nuzzled him, licked his face. Sebastian could hear its thoughts in his head. Stand up. Face them. Be worthy of me. He looked into the lion's deep amber eyes then nodded and stood again, turning towards the shocked faces of his family.

None more so than his mother who was staring at him, her face as pale as death. Under her chair the jackal cowered, trembling in fear.