Chapter 1

People don't know, but Chris is dying.

He slams the snooze button three more times before getting up to wash his face. He doesn't have any more time; he was left with thirty more minutes to prepare himself for a college seminar he is required to attend.

He makes his way to his bathroom, brushes his teeth, and then partially washes his hair with soap to mask the sweaty odor that accumulated during the weekends. He looks at the mirror while doing so.

Despite the pink undertone of his tanned flesh, he felt pale. As if he was dead on the inside.

He slips on some long-sleeved shirt, fresh from the dryer, and a pair of old Levi's he'd thrown out in the laundry basket a few days ago. All the while he does his usual morning routine, his phone rings continuously in his bed. He is aware of the noice, but he refuses to acknowledge it.

"you haven't been answering our call, Chris. Is everything okay? I'll see you in the seminar. I still love you."

Oh, Lea. She came into Chris' life during his first year of medicine and decided to stay until the collapse of their relationship. She was the first girl he had truly loved, but her overweighing insecurity resulted in him having to compromise in everything. He had lost his closest friends in return. She became all what was left, and in the end he realized he wasn't living life he deserves.

He then grabs his phone, considering whether he should head straight to the mall to change his number. But then again–a faint smile darts across his face–what's the point? Later that day, he would drive off to the nearest Sears for a rope strong enough to lift his body up.

He is determined to end his life.