Chapter Ten

Justin

I had barely tugged my jacket off and closed my bedroom door behind me when my phone buzzed with a message from Rowan.

Rowan 18:23

I feel like the only way to begin this conversation is to ask how Tyson is... =/

I flopped onto my bed guiltily before replying.

Justin 18:27

I’m not sure... Everyone’s at the hospital with him now, I came home alone.

Rowan 18:29

... Alone?

Justin 18:30

XD Yes. Nate disappeared with Julia, and Rosaline is at the hospital with my parents.

Rowan 18:32

Well I’m not trying to impress you or anything, but I AM pretty bloody and muddy right now.

Justin 18:34

Oh dear =/ What are u gonna do about it?

Rowan 18:37

I was hoping you might have some suggestions?

I could feel my heart start to pound just a little bit harder in my chest. He wanted to come over, but he wanted to make sure I was okay with it; I had to be the one to invite him. Somehow, I knew that if he did come over, it wouldn’t stop at a PG13 replay of our kiss outside the Montague changing rooms... It would go further, maybe a lot further.

Justin 18:45

U should see how spacious my shower is.

He didn’t even need to text me back; he just turned up fifteen minutes later and announced his presence by throwing pebbles from the garden at my window even though he knew I was home alone and could have used the doorbell.

                I leaned over the edge of the balcony to grin at him, trying to ignore the lump in my throat when I noticed he really was still all dirty from the non-football game. ‘Door’s open, you can come on in,’ I said, trying to be casual and normal-ish.

                ‘That’s just as well,’ he admitted, moving towards the door. ‘Your cousin really knows how to throw a punch; I don’t think I’d be up for any drainpipe-shimmying tonight.’

                ‘I don’t think I could ever take you seriously again if you even tried,’ I called after him. Seconds later I heard his footsteps on the staircase and moved to my bedroom door to open it; just in time for him to round to corner and push his body against mine, kissing me flush on the mouth.

                ‘Hey,’ I managed to choke hoarsely once he pulled away, smiling.

                ‘Hey, yourself.’