Memory

It was an icy cold day in early December when I walked into the 'BlueBell Cafe', a sweet and cozy cafe where I always spend my afternoon. It was starting to rain again. I sat on the table near the window gazing at it. The calming and soothing rhythm that trickles and taps on the window always make me felt very comfy and a bit sleepy.

"Good Afternoon, it's nice to see you. My name is Anne. Can I show you the menus and perhaps take a drink order?"

I looked at the table where the waitress was greeting the customers.

"Hello, Anne, and yes, the menu, please." John pulled out the chair for Mary then pushed it in gently as she was sitting down.

Mary smiled and held his hand as he took a sit beside her. "Thank you, John Bear."

The waitress placed the menu and smiled at him then left the couple after taking their order.

"I want to show you something." John grinned as he took out a small package out from one of the shopping bag. "Open it" he grinned.

Mary raised an eyebrow as she looked at him but she couldn't hide the smile on her face. She slowly opened the package and got surprise when she saw what's in it.

"Oh John... you shouldn't... but when did you..." she pulled up the white dress a bit. This was the dress that she wanted to buy earlier but she changed her mind because of the price.

"I want you to have it. You'll look beautiful in it" he placed one of his hands to her cheek and caressed it. "I want you to wear it on our special occasion"

"Thank you" Mary felt touched and loved. John always so thoughtful. He always noticed every little thing about her. "Our... special occasion?" Mary didn't catch what he said. She looked at him and felt very surprise when he suddenly knelt down and held out a little box from his pocket. "John..?"

"Mary, my love, you know that I'm not a romantic person." He held her hand gently as he looked at her, wanted her to know that he's serious about this. "I love you, Mary Evans. Will you marry me?"

Mary's eyes started to watered, overwhelmed with happiness and love. She nodded as she looked into his eyes. A tear of joy slid down to her cheek as he slid the ring on her finger. "I love you, John Bear."

Most of the guests in the cafe stood up and applauded for them. Some of them held up their drink to congratulate them. I smiled as the sweetest feeling appeared in my heart.

"Excuse me... Ma'am..."A waitress was suddenly blocking my view. "Would you like to order anything else?"

"No... no... Thank you" I looked at the table again as the waitress left. The table was empty.. no John.. no applause. I took off my glasses and slowly wiped my tears that were about to fall. It was still felt like yesterday when John asked to marry me. I looked down to my finger and gazed at the ring on my finger and smiled. It's been 15 years since he left her. He served in the Army, and never came back.
The rain stopped, I looked out at the wet road from the tainted window. The sun was setting among the clouds showing a remarkable atmosphere. I looked up, "Are you there... John? Watching me from Heaven?" I smiled and put my glasses on again. As the clock was striking 6, I walked out from the 'Blue Bell Cafe' with a smile on my face as I felt John was still watching over me from above. 

-------------