The Labyrinth Effect

Chapter 1

May's P.O.V.

I followed the horde of people and absently listened to the lecture given by the employee. My eyes switched passed every picture and plaque covering the wall. My eyes scanned the title above, THE HISTORY OF THE VICTORY OVER THE LYCAN VIRUS. The female employee waved her hands as she gleefully explained the history and the recent knowledge of the lycan virus.

"Today, there has been no out breaks of the virus, but the cure and numerous other vaccinations are made in case there is another epidemic," she explained, "but the virus has been dated back to medieval era."

"Many scientists argue that the virus itself isn't actually a virus, but another way natural selection has chosen to make humans stronger, but this is only theory. This virus has proved Darwin's Theory of Evolution to be slightly wrong, only because humans aren't in fact evolved from primates. But there is not actual proof to explain why humans are able to obtain the virus and virtually change the whole skeletal, muscle, and neurological order of the body," the employee interjected and shuffled her way to another boring item.

She then pointed to the item, a book, encased behind thick glass, "here, this book shows the first records of the virus and here you can see how the human body comes into contact with the illness and how the body changes or deforms itself into a werewolf," she stated fanatically.

The old looking book showed drawn pictures, each depicting the change from human to beast. I yawned, and tiredly scanned each drawing and read every word explaining the change and contact with the virus. The first drawing showed a detailed drawing of a male crouching and painfully clutching his sides. The very last drawing showed the male into a full blow beast, five times the size and more primal in instincts and reactions.

The writer of the book explained that the male had contacted the virus from either a bite, exchanging of bodily fluids, or contact with infected blood. He then dreadfully added that this male isn't the only person infected, because every virus has an epidemic and starts from one person and travels to another.

"How did you even know it was a virus?" a little boy asked.

The employee glanced at the boy, "In simpler terms, the virus is almost like a retrovirus, it needs a host to survive so then it can travel and infect the next person," she explained.

I raised my hand, "it's not a retrovirus, because the illness does not need to produce and create more copies of itself, the virus does no damage to the immune system, but only makes it host stronger," I rebuttal confidently and smiled cockily when some people nodded in agreement with my argument.

"But it does infect the human body," she countered, an annoyed looked appearing on her face.

"Yes, it does, but the virus has only proofed to enhance the human body, besides the fact that the human body changes. The virus isn't even a disease or sickness, there has been reported cases that the host of the pathogen, they have experienced a number of enhancements. Ranging from all the senses becoming stronger, a visibly stronger body, and a more clearer mind," I countered yet again.

"Are you infected?" she sneered at me.

"No, but a majoring student in lycanthropy can easily explain the whole virus in truth and theory, and I have plenty," I spoke cockily and raised my hand as if to explain more.

"Let's move to the next exhibit," she said and continued to ignore my presence.

Little did I know that someone was watching me and heard me explain the whole theory of lycans and soon I would horribly regret that.