Convicted

I dared to look back into the cold, snake-like eyes that were staring at me with such disgust. He made it feel like it was just me and him, but I could feel 50 sets of eyes glued to me, not daring to blink. Giving me one last menacing look, he spoke in a clear voice, "Guilty," and slammed down his mallet, harder than necessary, before giving me a wicked smile. Without a second to lose, a big, sweaty policeman rushed to my side and grabbed my arm leading me towards the doors. "Ow," I muttered. "Shut up," he replied, as he tightened his grip on me. I could hear everyone i passed letting out a sigh of relief, what did they think? That I would attack them? I smiled at the thought of me attacking a man, what could I do? I was just a seventeen year old girl. A woman by the door gasped, a bit too dramatically, and whispered to her husband, "Look at the way she's smiling! She's insane, they should put her down!" My smile widened, put me down? what was I? A rabid animal? I winked at her as i passed and that completely set her off. "GET HER OUT OF HERE. DID YOU SEE THAT? DID YOU SEE THAT, PAUL? SHE WINKED, THAT DISGUSTING LITTLE-" She cut herself off, i suppose she was trying to find the right noun to call me, but it took too long, and i was out of the courtroom before she could spit it out at me, what a shame. Between the two of us, she was clearly the one that was insane.

I could hear the policeman that was dragging me chuckle, "find me funny now, do you?" I said, playfully. "Didn't I tell you to shut up?" He said, angirly. I knew that he didn't want me to answer back, but I'll be locked up for so long, I wanted to have a little fun. "Why, as a matter of fact, yes you did," I said. He tightened his grip on me, I didn't even think that was possible, I'll definitely have a bruise now. "Then, shut up." He replied, firmly. I smiled, "Yes, sir." He swung open the police car door and threw me inside. "Someone's fiesty," I said, teasingly. He didn't reply, I guess he was tired of telling me to shut up. I heard a laugh beside me, I turned to see a boy around my age. He had wavy light brown hair, and there was so much of it, it was flawless. His hair was covering his eyes but i saw a hint of green. "What, are you mesmerised by my looks?" He said, flipping his hair and giving me a wink. Now I could see his eyes, they were like a sea green, absoloutely beautiful. I laughed, "Please, don't flatter yourself." I replied, in the same tone. "Will you stop flirting and shut up? Or i swear to god, i can make your death look like an accident," The officer said, before starting the engine. "My name's Jake," the boy whispered, and then turned around to stare out the window, he looked so fascinated by it. Maybe it was because he wouldn't be able to see it ever again, just like me. And without thought, i turned my head to take in what mother nature had to offer for the last time.

****

The car ride seemed so fast, despite the fact that the officer had gone to a drivethrough to get donuts and coffee. Apparently, policemen actually do eat a lot of donuts, he gobbled three down in ten minutes. I tried to take in as much of fresh air my lungs could get, and then before I knew it I was in my cell. My new home.

I'd been in here once before, this same exact cell. My mom had once called the cops on me, she thought that I had killed my baby brother. I didn't. I loved him to death. My mom was always so drunk, she left him in the car one day, and it was burning, and i mean burning, the temperature was 103 degrees, hottest summer ever recorded. And poor little Isaac suffocated to death, i missed him so much. I still remember his laugh, it was the most precious thing in the world. I didn't feel like crying though, I never did. Not now, not then. i don't know why, losing Isaac was the worst thing that had ever happened to me, I was twelve the last time I saw him. "Hey blondie!" An officer called, "Looks like you got yourself a cell mate for the time being. Don't get too comfortable, he'll be gone soon enough," He said, as he threw Jake inside. "And no funny business, we got cameras, we'll know your every move." He added, harshly. "It's okay, she's not really my type," Jake said, and then turned around to stare at me. The policeman stomped his way to his chair and then tilted his hat above his eyes, i knew he was fast asleep when his head drooped down. "Well at least there's no rent," Jake said, happily. I just nodded, how can someone who was trapped in here be so chirpy? I took a look around the cell, there was a toilet on the right hand corner, facing outside- perfect. The bars of the cell were all rusted, there was a disgusting looking bunk bed to my left. I walked my way towards it and stared at the initials scratched into the metal. "This is a dump, huh?" Jake said, I didn't reply, even though Jake was beside me, I felt so alone. So far away from the world. "Hey, we won't have company for a long time. I don't know about you, but I'm gonna be in this place for more than just a couple of years.' He said, he didn't sound so happy, and that made me feel better, I wasn't locked in here with a total nutcase. "You're right," I said, surprisingly i sounded better than i was. "So, what's your name again?" He asked, still looking around the place. It took me a while to take in what he said, "hm? Oh, Angelina." I replied, staring at him. What the hell was wrong with him? He said he was going to be locked in here for a long while, and he looked so fascinated by the place. "An-gel-i-na. Hm, that's a lot of syllables. I think I'll call you, Angie." He said, now staring at the top bunk. Angie. Only my brother called me Angie. Without noticing i sat down on the bed and stared at my feet, trying to get rid of the lump in my throat. Jake bounced down next to me, i wonder what he was in for, i hope it wasn't anything too intense because i was stuck with him, for now. He whispered, "you have any siblings?" I shook my head in response, after Isaac died, i was an only child. "Lucky." He said, emotionless, and then he continued, "well, have you ever gotten blamed for something you didn't do? I mean, when I was younger, my brothers always blamed me for finishing the ice-cream, and I'd always get in trouble for it." I remembered the day my mom called the police on me...