Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species Book One)

Immortal Becoming

Wendy S. Hales

The Enlightened Species Book One

Available at: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashword-visit my website @ www.wendyshales.com

ISBN: 978-1465892027

Immortal Becoming © 2012 Wendy S. Hales All rights reserved

This ebook is licensed for your personal enjoyment only. This ebook may not be re-sold or given away to other people. If you would like to share this book with another person, please purchase an additional copy for each recipient. The ebook contained herein constitutes a copyrighted work and may not be reproduced, transmitted, down-loaded, or stored in or introduced into an information storage and retrieval system in any form or by any means, whether electronic or mechanical, now known or hereinafter invented, without the express written permission of the copyright owner, except in the case of brief quotation embodied in critical articles and reviews. Thank you for respecting the hard work of this author.

This ebook is a work of fiction. The names, characters, places, and incidents are products of the writer's imagination or have been used fictitiously and are not to be construed as real. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, actual events, locales or organizations is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Ronnell Porter, Editing by Alisa Carter, The Professional Editing Edge, Formatting by BobHoustoneBookFormatting

ChapterOne

This is going to hurt. Pulling into the parking lot of the academy, Jess could feel her mental barriers being pounded by densely populated emotions. She’d be lucky if she didn’t end up in a seizure after being exposed to this much psychic stimuli.

After two anti-anxiety pills and twenty minutes of breathing meditation in the parking lot, Jess was ready to give it a shot. “How’d I let Eric talk me into this?” she grumbled to herself for the thousandth time since last night, when she had finally caved to her foster brother’s incessant hounding. He had taught this class himself numerous times before he actually joined the police academy. Why couldn’t he teach it now that he was in the academy? Seemed to her that this entire group of cadets should already be black belts with Eric in their ranks.

Speak of the devil. “Jess, you made it. Only fifteen minutes late.” Eric ran up to meet her. “I didn’t mention to my instructors that I saw you pull into the lot twenty minutes ago.”

“I can leave if I’ve missed the class,” she said sarcastically, half turning back toward her Jeep. She would give anything to be able to jump in that beautiful new Jeep. Her first splurge ever, a reward for working her ass off and living on Ramen noodles for the last five years. She had been able to pay off the small business loan she’d taken out to buy her half interest in The Ryu, so she deserved it. Even if it meant another year of Ramen and working morning till, well, morning to pay for it. At least she was accustomed to that life, or lack of life, depending on your perspective.

“Oh hell no, you are not getting out of this. You promised.” Eric pointed at her, adding a pout guaranteed to always make her cave. “Besides, I can’t wait to see all those instructors in there bitching about you being late and getting their asses handed to them, not to mention the fact that you can help me impress one of the lady cadets. She may be off limits now, but after graduation, I am so going for that. The girl is hawt.”

Eric had come along way from the scrawny, freckled faced, red-headed dork he had been when his mother had taken Jess in as a foster kid. He was overconfident, with big blue eyes and perfectly placed freckles on skin that could somehow still tan. At six foot two and a lean one-ninety-five, he had his pick of girls. They’d hovered around him non-stop since high school. The only thing remaining of that eleven-year-old kid was the red hair, currently cut military short for the academy, making him look more youthful than twenty-one.