暗闇に (In The Dark) : A World War 2 Story About The Atomic Bomb

My names is Tamaka Ozairo, I am 56 years old, and I was a Japanese soldier in World War II.

       I was born in the town of Hiroshima in Japan, to Hirai and Kyoya Ozairo. My mother, Hirai, took care of my older brother (Kiroya) and I from the moment we were born. My father, Kyoya, never really did seem to care for us. He was a general in the Japanese army, meaning he never had time to care or see us. Kiroya was a smart child from the start, beginning to play the piano at the age of 3, and solving complicated mathematical problems at the age of 8. While he was turning into the families prodigy, I was growing into an anything but normal child. It was clear that from the moment I turned 4, I had somewhat of a more complex capability of thinking things through, although it wasn’t much of a useful skill, it helped me through elementary and high school.

      When I graduated from high school in 1939, my father pulled me into the army. “The army is good for you, Ozairo, it will help you turn into a smarter and stronger man.” He had said the day he snatched me away from my mother. I was the last person who was at home living with her, since my brother was already married and working as a busy doctor, and when my father took me away, she was left alone.

      My father was disappointed in my brother, Kiroya, wanting him to also join him in the army. But Kiroya never did want to join him. Therefore, he dragged me into it, naturally. I had no choice but to train and do what I was told to do. I passed the brutal training with flying colors, but I never stood on the same side as my father. My father was good friends with Emperor Hirohito, as well as Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto and Commander Mitsuo Fuchida.

      In 1940 I became aware that my father, Admiral Yamamoto, and Commander Fuchida were evidently up to something. They had more than a dozen meetings, all of which I had not been invited to. I did my best to prove to my father that I was trustworthy enough, although I was never able to kill a single living soul on this earth in any of our invasions. But I proved useful enough to him when I showed strength in battle strategy.

     That was when my father told me of their plan to attack the pacific fleet of the United States of America in a surprise attack in Hawaii. I didn’t want to take any part in the idea, knowing that if our army was to attack America, the ending result would be our lose in the war. However, my father found a way to drag me along anyway. And on December 7th, 1941, I was dragged onto one of the many ships and brought along.

      “If you do this you will all bring our empire to ruins!” I yelled at my father as he passed by my room. The room was filled with complete silence as I tried to calm myself. After a few seconds he slowly walked into the room, hands behind his back.

      “It is not your place, to judge decisions made by people more important to you.” He said, keeping his eyes at me. That was when for the first time I saw who my father truly was. As he looked into my eyes I saw nothing but complete darkness in his. I saw no sign of a soul, or a sign or any compassion towards me. Just a completely ignorant man who would stop at nothing to gain all the power in the world. I shook my head in complete disgust.

     I glared at him and with all the calm in the world, fought for the first time. “And who are you to try to say what I can or cannot do, Kyoya.” I said staring straight into his eyes furiously. His eyes widened in surprise as I continued to speak, “You just want all the power in the world, just like Adolf Hitler in Germany. Tell me, father, is he one of your close allies, whilst your wife has been at home since you joined this hell all alone! Waiting for you!” I yelled straight at him, hoping my words would hit their target. “She sits there by the window every single day! Talking nonsense about how you will someday return and be with her once again! You did that to her!” I yelled as loud as I could this time, glaring him straight in the eyes without breaking any contact. For a few moments, the room was filled with nothing but complete, breaking, deafening silence.