Sketch

Their great but lazy brown-haired teacher wasn't arriving anytime soon. 

The science preparation room, a poor excuse of a classroom for two students with special needs, was filled with only the boring silence Haruka was tired of hearing. His moody and sometimes lively female classmate was once again in her own world, her face opposite his direction, her headphones on with music drowning everything outside, and her mind in the realm of her dreams. 

The male sighed, flipping a page of his trusty sketchpad. He decided to draw to pass the two hours before classes dismiss. But first, he needed something to draw. Or someone.

The first person to pop into his mind was the snoozing girl beside him. The idea sent excitement and energy all through his body. He grabbed his pencil and was about to make a mark on the blank paper when he realized something. Drawing her without her permission would most probably annoy her, and he didn't want that despite how cute he found her angered expression was. Well, all of her expressions were cute.

He dropped his newly-bought lead pencil and leaned back on his chair, staring up at the blank white ceiling and trying to look for another inspiration for his drawing. However, no matter how much he tried, the idea of drawing Takane thrilled him too much. Never had he felt this enthusiastic about drawing a person.

Well, if she doesn't find out, it'll be fine, right?

He grasped his pencil and started sketching the girl's face out of his memory. His hand seemed to move on its own, drawing each of her beautiful features on the paper. First came her sharp and sleep-deprived eyes that wonderfully reflected light like diamonds, her sleek black hair comparable to silk tied into two twin tails, her bangs covering a part of her angelic smiling face, her nose with its perfect curves, and her soft lips curved up into a genuine smile.

He didn’t even realize he was smiling and having such a fun time drawing her. But the sketch wasn’t like any other leisurely drawing he had ever made; well, it was her. He was aware that he actually placed more effort on the sketch than the others he had ever made. Though the thought puzzled him, he had an idea why.

He had a small crush on her ever since the day the two of them were introduced to each other as the only students of their class. She didn’t seem happy about it that time, but she still cooperated and tried her best to get along with him to which he was thankful for. As the first week of class went by, that small crush gradually grew into something bigger. Her eccentricity sparked the start of his innocent admiration, and that wasn’t the end of it.

However, something deep inside of him told him that his admiration wasn’t what he was feeling earlier and lately anymore.

All through the time he had been stroking his trusty pencil on his sketchpad’s paper, there was this foreign sensation in his chest and he was sure it had nothing to do with his illness that blocked him from doing a few stuff he wanted to do. Of course, the feeling worried him; he wasn’t sure what the feeling was. However, the strange thing in his chest stirred up a weird sense of delight and he wanted it to remain as long as possible. He liked it. He only felt that way on certain times, and almost all of them were when his one and only classmate was in his fifty-meter range.

The bell rang. Fearing that the girl might find out and give him a scolding accompanied by a few annoyed punches and a painful pinch on his cheek, he put all of his things away and placed them neatly into his bag.

The ringing stopped and Takane was still snoozing. The ever-so-cheerful Haruka was well aware that it wasn’t a good idea to pull her away from her world of slumber, but he didn’t want to leave her alone. He was actually rather hopeful that they would walk home together and maybe go on a detour on the way.

He poked the side of her stomach, saying her name. She stirred and moaned then went back to sleep like a stubborn little girl on a Monday morning. Chuckling to himself at the adorable display, he poked both sides of her belly at the same time. Her eyes shot open as she suddenly sat straight up like she was electrified. After a few seconds of realization, she jerked her head toward the male, shooting him an unforgiving glare. In reply, he smiled sheepishly at her then pointed to the wall clock.

She sighed, muttering a thank-you. She took her phone and saw her reflection on its screen. Her bangs were messed up and her twin tails were disheveled. Her eyes looked pissed and still sleepy. There was also a drool mark just below her lower lip. Haruka just smiled at her like it was the most natural thing in the world.

“Gyaa!” She stood up then grabbed her bag, clutching it in her arms. “S-See you tomorrow, Haruka!” she stuttered, looking completely flustered, then ran out of the room. “I look hideous!” Haruka heard her hiss to herself.

The boy laughed softly, mentally disagreeing with her as he watched her run away from him.

You’re beautiful, Takane.