Chapter One

Chapter One

Plane rides, one of the most insufferable things I've ever had to go through.

If I didn't get out of here soon I was going to kill someone and rage after whoever decided to let children under the age of ten on a plane, and eventually be banned from every airport in the world. I had the unfortunate luck of sitting beside a mother and her four year old who obviously didn't have an off button.

Maybe I was overreacting.

But this kid didn't shut up the whole time I was on the plane. Not to mention his whiny four year old voice, his mother obviously making no efforts to try and calm him down. At one point she did give him a piece of candy which did calm him down for the few seconds it took for him to eat it.

She could of at least offered me one.

I walked out of the airport into the hot Florida sunshine with my pink suitcase by my side and sat down on a bench just outside the airport and waited for my aunt to arrive. I soon started sweating in the hot temperature, it had to be about 37°C.

It was probably a stupid idea to step out of the cold air conditioned airport.

Despite me wearing shorts I still found myself sweating like a pig regretting my decision of leaving the cold airport for the scalding sun. Back home in New-York the weather's colder than it is in Florida. This morning I had dressed myself like someone from Florida would so I didn't look like I had just come back from the north pole.

Or a tourist from Antarctica.

Aunt Tess had told me over the phone to bring lots of shorts and t-shirts nothing that was too hot, so today I put on my khaki shorts with a white button up blouse with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows and black toms.

I don't think that would be categorized as too hot.

My aunt Tess is my mom's younger sister, growing up with three older sisters who all had the brains of Albert Einstein they all grew up to become high class doctors, but aunt Tess always had a passion for the ocean, you would think that they would of all had a passion for the ocean being born and raised in Hawaii but that wasn't the case. My mom Heather and my aunts Lauren and Abigail were out saving people's lives while aunt Tess was out in the ocean swimming with all the different sea creatures. Moving to Florida was the best thing for my aunt, she had heard they were looking for a marine biologist down in Colby so she immediately took the job.

Suddenly a car pulls up beside me, a red Acadia.

"Hey Reese! How've you been?" My aunt's chirpy voice asks.

"I've been good, how about you?" I ask her with the same enthusiasm.

"I've been wonderful! Thanks for asking." She smile's at me stepping out of the car to give me a bone crushing hug.

"That's great!" I say, smiling at her.

"Wow! You've really grown Reese, how tall are you now?" She asks me with a wide smile.

"I'm not tall compared to you, I'm 5'2." I say looking at aunt Tess's tall 5'8 figure.

"At least you're not a midget." She laughs slinging her small arm over my shoulders grabbing my suitcase by the retractable handle.

An awkward silence soon settled upon us.

"How are your parents?" She asks, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

"They're good, they're really excited about this whole doctors without borders thing." I tell her sitting in the passengers seat.

My parents, two very sophisticated doctors decided to participate in doctors without borders, after many hours of trying to convince them to let me stay home alone their reply to that was that I wasn't responsible enough and that they were afraid I would burn down the house and since I'm not officially eighteen I had no choice but listen to them, thus the reason of me staying with my aunt for the summer.