10

Dawn

Have you ever had a feeling that things meant to happen to you for a reason? Do you ever just want to thank God for giving this chance to actually show you a sign of happiness? That's how I felt when I got partnered with Chris. I don't know, but, something inside of me just burst; like fireworks spraying glow on a hot summer's night on the Fourth of July. The amount of joy and amusement couldn't explain the smile on my face when Mr. Krumpklin said that Chris was to remain my partner not only for a few weeks, but the rest of the semester! No one or nothing could've brought me down. Or so I thought.

I was making my way to my car after school ended its day. The afternoon sky was still sky blue like the ocean's crystal waters. My walking paced as I was rushing to get to my vehicle. I just wanted to get home and try to search for jobs in order to pay Harper's rent, plus having to make a living for my brother and sister; and that includes food, clothes, school supplies, hair supplies, etc. When I was about to unlock my car trunk, I saw a figure, a small yet, a lean muscular body, leaning against my car. I was too busy opening my car trunk and unpacking my belongings inside, until I heard a familiar raspy voice.

"Hey, Dawn." The familiar voice spoke.

My face froze as I heard that voice. The voice not only gets me disgusted, but weak. But not the kind of weak that gets you a fuzzy, bliss feeling. It gave me a 'knife through my back' type of weak. That voice was no other than Skrew. The man, excuse me, boy who severely crushed my heart with his acid, revolting words and beatings like I'm in the ring with a professional boxer. Every time I look into his eyes, I could only see the venom and hatred he had for me. No matter how many times I look into his sparkling brown eyes or his glistening white pearly teeth, I can only see the Devil in Jordans and snapbacks.

"Skrew, how may I help you?" My words spoke bitter like my mother's Mac & Cheese. Yuck!

"Aye why you gotta talk to me like that? I just wanted to know if made your decision the last time we talked?"

My face went blank. No emotion was read in my eyes. It's been almost a week since he asked me if we should get back together. Honestly, I completely forgotten about the whole thing, but I absolutely knew what my answer was going to be. After what happened between us in the past, nothing will EVER be the same with him anymore.

"Well yeah. I've made a decision, and no, I will not get back together with you. Never again will I ever relived and suffered from." I spoke.

Skrew's face showed disappointment. The glow that usually glistens in his eyes had slowly faded into a stale shade of brown. I could tell from what I said must've affected him, but he doesn't understand that what he did to me changed my whole life and he can't take it back.

"What do you mean 'no'? Don't you remember the goo-" I cut him off.

Anger swayed through my heart as my teeth clenched and my palms started to get sweaty.

"You know why! You did everything in your power to hurt me during our relationship and now that the damage is done, there's no point to go back since you ruined me!"

"Ruined you? Ruined you!? What could I possibly done to so call 'ruin' you!?"

"You hurt me!"

Skrew finally stood still as my anger rush through my body and added to my words. He's finally listening and he needs to listen well.

"You made me lose myself. I'm not the same girl I was when we were freshman in high school. The day that I met you, was the day that my life and happiness was taken away from me, and you are the reason why it happened!"