The Pawn

…We can dance all night

Those were the days where the dawning of life first set forth into the weaving mother Gaea. Alike that of a gem at sea; an Emerald within Beryl. Innocence was a birthright, a secluded gift from God. Life is a fragile thread; a brittle soul so easily giving in to the sinful Python. Time is lucid alike that of the river lithe, passing aimlessly and the next thing he knows, he’s forgotten. People live. People die. Heaven or hell, a mere hindrance only used to shield the people off their true destinies. The heart staking memories shattered like fractal glass on the cold concrete floor, harsh but necessary. Tears glistering against the shady backdrop of the fogged air, hollow yet so exquisitely tranquil. The world is a harsh place; a fortress for the predator, the perishing for the weak. No dwelling on the past; remorse is only the weak and to be weak is to be dominated and to be dominated is to conquer. ‘God’, a mere symbol for belief; and he did believe. He believed that the world was a subtle place for good. That all the world ever needed was a change, a chance. He was wrong. Not here, not in his city. The world is as corrupted as it can ever be and there is nothing he can do to stop it.

  Utopia, the city of hope. A city of peace and order under precedential judgement, law and order. The people who are politically involved, constantly finding ways to contribute in making the city a better place – that is of course, just a cover story for what truly lies from within; a city crumbling, eating away from the insides of its core. Underneath all that cover lies an organization, a network of scandals and crime. It is inexorable, really. He has tried to change the course of things, to let the higher-ups realize that what they’re doing is wrong, to reconsider their heinous schemes for he too was once a victim of the reaping. He however failed horribly. He was casted out, exiled and left to rot away in the streets with thugs and psychopaths. He suffered deeply. They tackled him hard, hacked and slashed at him. He screamed with such hysteria as they bludgeoned him over and over. Left by the dumpsters infested by rats and vermin, blood pouring in continual splendor. A shadow confronts him smirking at his pathetic state. He grimaces as he strained to meet the figure. The figure said nothing as it reached out to touch him. The gesture was clear: an offer of chance, an offer for revenge on what the world has made of him; an outcast. He needed the push; the path to a greater good. The world needed the freedom it deserves. Right now, it was the epitome of chaos itself. Reaching out, he grasps on to its feet like Tantalus towards food and drink. A contract: a blood seal. The shadow loomed as it enveloped him, the deal done. His deal; his revenge, his sacrifice: his soul.

  Hate. An emotion so potent, it consummates. Bathing in blood whose victims he slain, ripped from the corpses so fresh, a perfect reign. That night; it was cold, it was dark. It was wet; it was heavy with sadness and so full of dread. He watched the house burn. The house…his family, the people he loved. He would never forget their screaming cries. He watched his family die. Their horrifying screams, eerie and sharp. Somebody had to pay. Somebody to blame, to face justice; his justice. So he left; in search for a home but he was denied, casted out onto the streets, left forgotten, left abandoned. So he thought: maybe, just maybe he could change things: make the world a better place…somehow; that all he ever needed was to persuade the higher ups. He was wrong. If only it had been that easy. He gradually found out that the cause of fire from that night of his family’s death was solely caused to rid his father off the board due to his opposing insistencies. He was mad. ‘I will avenge him’ he thought as he swore a deep silent oath.

  So he bided his time. He was slow but certain that he could overthrow the board as he worked his way up the ranks. He came by close…so close only to fail. He got thrown out onto the streets yet again. He was hopeless, with no family and home. He was certain that he was joining his family soon. Until that shadow came…

  He has found a new purpose now. The world needed a ruler; he will be its ruler. Rely on the higher ups no more, as for what purpose do they server besides robbing people off their wealth? No, he will be their ruler. He will eradicate them; all of them. Until they beg for mercy for what they have done to him. Oh, such a fool of him to be toying with life. No, have mercy no more. Their time, reprieved for far too long; they deserve the death they receive, his justice.