A Blood That Runs Thicker

Secrets,Lies,and More Blood

   I was silent trying to avoid meeting her eyes,they were sharp and intimidating like she peering into my soul. We kept on for awhile until we reached the door exiting the building. Dawn tried striking up another question, "I mean like where'd you get a name like Red?," I smiled, I'd been here only 2 1/2 months encountered many but none could make me smile, except Violet of course.

"I guess you'd have to ask my mom," I laughed 

"Well it's unique is all i'm saying," she said, "Oh my gosh Red it's freezing out here!"flurries layered her eyelashes.

"Yeah I hate snow," I mumbled as we both hovered inside the cafeteria. Rushing inside followed by a gust of wind we gave the lady our school IDs to swipe,then began looking for somewhere to sit. The cafeteria was huge and when filled looked like chaos....which was now! Dawn and I stood as I frantically looked for a seat, "Uhh let's sit over there I guess," I said quickly pointing to a booth at the far end of the cafeteria. Immediately my stomach began an argument with me as I eyed the students shuffling around the caf.. As I sat down I became more intent on each each student passing by,smelling and reading each one's blood type.....delicious!!!

  My gums began to ache horrendously, "You coming?" Dawn was patting my shoulder.

Without looking I replied, "Go on ahead I'll catch up," she slowly turned to leave, "a-are you ok?" I nodded, then she left. I sat there like a lion watching it's prey....BUZZ BUZZ.

I reached in my pocket and fished for my phone, "Hello?" I asked.

"Hey Red where are you?" I listened hearing Violet's voice. 

"I'm in the cafeteria with Dawn and plus i'm starving," I yelled.

"Well go get your pack out of your room there's an idea," she offered.

"I just can't leave her," I sighed, " please Vi my doors unlocked just bring it to me!" my voice grew urgent. Violet sighed, " Oh alright give me ten minutes i'll get mashaka to drive me down," then there was silence. Mashaka was one of Violet's native friends.She had shoulder length jet black hair, a good sense of humor, was a life saver at times, and the only human I was actually comfortable around.

  It was a quarter after 4pm and I had'nt fed all day! Eating on a regular basis is very hard for a vampire like myself... I mean think about it blood is'nt on any human's menu. Every other week my family would send me large supplies of blood bags, so that Marshall University would'nt have multiple homicides on their hands. On campus...I'd only bitten making contact with one person named Marina, she was B blood type, had flowing red hair, green eyes, and my so called English "partner". That's when I discovered more of my powers....I could control people with my eyes!! Then that ended quickly.

  I looked up to see Dawn waving in the distance with two other people alongside her approaching the table...(Oh boy this is not good) I thought.

"Hey Red these are my friends Eden and her boyfriend Devonte," she said smiling. I slowly sized them up, the girl was white,stocky,tall, with dark brown hair and her boyfriend was so tall it made my neck hurt just to look at him. I tried my hardest to smile and be friendly but all that came was a half smiling wince look.  I took deep breaths, "come on Violet please" I huffed.

"Sorry i'm late here's your pack!" relief rushed over me as I saw Violet's hand extended over the table holding my pack. 

I snatched it, " where were you?" I frowned, "you said 10minutes".

" I know I know," she said pushing a hispanic girl towards me, " me and Mashaka had to get my new friend Esperanza settled,".

"What I do'nt get it" I said annoyed.

"I'll explain later," she laughed, "meet me at Jibson Hall later," then she dragged Esperanza, who stared at me as if she were going to kill me out of the cafeteria. 

I rolled my eyes, "ok whatever". Grabbing my pack I started to slide out of the booth, then something grabbed my wristand tightened. My heart quickened like a drumas I felt my instincts starting to spring from within me. I whirled around to see Dawn holding me, she had an irom grip like an Boa Constrictor! Our eyes met and something strange happened, it felt almost as if she were talking through her eyes, "what's in the bag Red?" her eyes burned into mine.

"Just something I need," I answered.

Not even noticing Eden or Devonte leave,the staredown continued. I tried using my eyes to change her thoughts but they felt blocked and emotionless like me. Finally she let go and smiled, "I'm sorry" she laughed, "I do'nt even know why I did that". Slowly I pulled my arm back and turned to leave, "Do'nt forget to come study at Jibson Hall tonight!" she said screaming over the crowd.

  I walked to my dorm, Cedarwood Hall, raced into a bathroom stall, and began to feed, forgetting ally anger and confusion.....making me feel complete and almost like I could do anything....I felt good...10 bags...I'd emptied that many...my hunger had grown immensly! I went to my room and looked for my roommate, she wasnt there so I threw on some sweats and a long sleeved shirt preparing for my nightly jog.

  Jogging helped me forget about where I was and who I was. From Cedarwood Hall to "Satelite Hill", the highest hill overlooking campus, I jogged till I reached the top. I stood there heated in the dark cold night listening to every sound and word that people spoke of from below. Below "Satelite Hill" was a semi-lit parking lot. There I saw a tall blond girl walking to her car; almost as if I blinked again another girl, much smaller appeared yanking her to the ground. My eyes widened as the girl let out a shrill cry, then went silent. I began to smell blood as I descended further towards the scene. The smaller girl kneeled with her face pressed against the side of the blondie's neck. I focused in as she came up inhaling.....pointing her head towards the sky the light shone upon her face I gasped,as blood dripped from her mouth.....it was DAWN!!!!!!!