Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Natalie's POV

It was an awkward moment. Me, on the floor with books scattered all over the place, and the furious guy with his longish brown hair and his scowl and these amazing green eyes boring into mine. Probably one of the jocks from the High school's football team. If the earth could swallow, I'd be digested by now. Feeling my cheeks flame up as everybody who passed us snickered at me, I pushed my glasses higher up my nose in an attempt to hide the tears.

Suddenly, I saw the guy's hand in front of my face, offering to pull me up. I took it. His fingers were warm and the muscles on his arms rippled.

Oh, wow...

It was then that I decided to avoid those deep green eyes of his.

"Thanks.." I muttered. Bending down to pick up the books, I wondered why he bumped into me in the first place. Nobody had ever walked into me. They just sort of circled around me.

When I looked up, he was gone. Go figure! I walked on towards my locker and stashed everything inside. It's not that I'm ugly, I don't think I am, maybe it's just that I don't fit in anywhere. I don't do sports, I can't sing, I'm not geeky-smart, I can't do magic tricks and I am definitely not "rebel-material".  I'm just ordinary. I'm not even a wall-flower. More like a wall-leaf.

Taking out my lunch, I closed my locker and sprinted outside. These blessed moments of the day we call "Lunch" is what I enjoyed most about school. Dodging the smoker's crowd, I made my way toward the old oak tree. Its gnarled surface and the way the sunlight dripped down like milky honey through the ancient branches captured my imagination- it's like fairy tales had originated here in this very spot.

I sat down and brushed my hair out of my face. I swear, I think my dark tendrils developed a life of their own as soon as the weather turned cold. It should start snowing within the next few weeks.

I loved the winter - everything turned into a white-dusted wonderland during the winter holidays and I couldn't wait.

Eating my peanut-butter sandwich, I felt someone watching me, but when I looked around, everything seemed normal enough. Yet the being-watched feeling got stronger. Pushing my glasses up my nose I hurried to finish so I could go back to class.

My shoes squeaked as I hurried through the corridors, brushing past kids making out or standing in groups joking around. Gosh, sometimes I felt like a sixty-year old. Grabbing my biology books from my locker I turned to head to Mrs. Fowler's class, but I didn't see the guy passing behind me. I bumped smack into...

Mr. Forest Eyes.

Again.

My books scattered.

Happy crap, why twice in one darn day?

Am I cursed?!

His face was unreadable as we each picked up a book. He smelled like heaven, the voice in my head informed me. As he handed my biology book to me I forced myself to look into his magnificent eyes and say "Thank you," but he wasn't making eye contact, he was staring at my lips. He nodded once and I decided to bolt. This was not good for my heart... It was beating so fast I thought I'd keel over. I ran away in panic.

He was so handsome and mysterious... It made me nervous.

And Natalie Mitchell didn't like nervous.

I was in luck- the door wasn't locked. Slipping in I took my seat and took out a reading book, trying to calm my crazy pulse and forget his scent. His eyes were so piercing... And oh, for a those few seconds that his fingers touched mine, I.....

The bell screamed. Or so it sounded. I toppled off my chair with a loud yelp and landed painfully on the hard floor. Jumping up I rubbed my backside before taking my seat again. What is WRONG with me?

My butt was on fire. I winced. Damn you, Forest Eyes, for taking away my magical powers and leaving me a mere clumsy mortal! I shall have my revenge on you someday, I swear it.

There. That sounded more like the geek that I was.

Just then the door burst open and kids piled in noisily.

Ugh. My Sanity Tank was running low.

For the rest of the day I endured the giggles and squeals and the cocky bragging of my high school peers. Thank goodness it was Friday... This week had been long enough.