Chapter 12. Comfort & Discomfort

Joey’s POV

Matt climbed up the Jeep and signalled me to get in. I opened the door at the back and climbed up. He looked at me, his eyes wide open. We just looked at each other for, I don’t know how long, until he decided to break the silence.

“Seriously? You’re going to sit there?” He asked in disbelief.

I nodded while casually picking at my nails. “Yeah.  What’s the problem?”

“What do you think of me, your chauffeur? Sit here on the front.” He demanded.

It’s my eyes that widened this time. “What? I’m not gonna sit there.” I told him incredulously.

“Why not?” He snapped.

This jerk really! “Because I don’t want to. I haven’t seated there since...” I trailed off. His eyebrows shot upward questioningly. I let out a sigh, “I’m not going to seat shotgun. It’s not...comfortable.”

He snorted. “Well I’m sorry princess, this is not one of your posh carriages. It’s either you sit ‘shotgun’ or we don’t leave.” He said sarcastically.

None of us spoke or moved for a while. I could sense that he was looking at me through the center mirror. I shut my eyes trying to calm myself. Yeah, I could sit in front. It’s just for a few minutes anyway, you could do it Joey, I told myself. I let out a deep breath and glanced at him, he looked away too quickly.

 “Fine!” I frowned and rolled my eyes. I climbed down the jeep and went over to the front, slamming the door behind me with a bang. He smirked and started the engine, driving away from the parking lot.

 We already reached the high way and nobody said a word among us. I turned slowly and gazed at him. Tonight, He was wearing a fitted black shirt that hugs his muscled chest and broad shoulders, he partnered it with faded jeans, sneakers and a gray beanie.  His bluish gray eyes were fixed at the road, his signature blank expression etched on his face.  The slight stubble on his chin fitted his ruggedly handsome image making him look like one of the bad boys from a TV series...very hot and mysterious. I cursed.

“What?” He yelped, glancing at me for a second.

“What what?” I snapped, feeling irritated with myself.

“You’re the one who’s cursing under your breath.” He stated nonchalantly. “And if you continue looking at me like that, I swear I’ll have holes in my face by the time we reached the pub.”

I sighed and looked away, trying to hide the embarrassment of being caught gazing at him. “Why did you invite me to your celebration anyway?” I asked, looking out at the window.

He thought for a moment before he spoke. “I didn’t invite you. Max did.”

“Right. And why am I riding with you?” I continued asking, trying not to make a big deal of what he just said.