CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

My heart skipped a beat, and I looked at Drake, nervous and doubtful. I had to ask him the question that had been on my mind since I saw the two of them for the first time. "Is he your twin?" I asked him, my voice trembling with anxiety.

Drake closed his eyes, took a deep breath and then opened his mouth to respond. I could see the guilt etched in his voice as he spoke. "I lied," he said. "I'm not Drake because he is my twin brother, and I'm Ashton."

I clenched my fist, and I felt betrayed. Tears welled in my eyes. I had trusted Drake with everything, and he had lied to me. "How dare you!" I yelled, glaring at him. "After I came here with you and trusted you with everything!"

"It's not like what you think, Kelly. I did this because I have a reason," he said, his voice filled with guilt.

"I don't care!" I spat, feeling disgusted. "You're still a horrible liar."

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

I breathed deeply.

"Take me back home," I muttered lowly, wiping my tears away.

"I can't. You already signed the contract. And you have to live with Drake till your wedding event," he said, sounding ashamed.

I shook my head in disbelief and frowned at his words. "Don't expect me to trust another stranger after what you've done to me," I declared.

I opened the door, ready to walk home alone if necessary. Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me, and someone grabbed my arm, turning me around. I looked up and saw the real Drake standing in front of me.

He lifted my chin, examining my face, and I could feel his gaze piercing me. My eyes grew wide as I realized he looked exactly like Ashton, but with the lightest shade of blue eyes, an electrifying one. He wore a black leather jacket, and his right ear piercing shone through the sunlight.

Drake furrowed his eyebrows, noticing my tears. "My poor Kelly, did bastard Ashton make you cry?" he smirked.

After a few seconds, he whispered, "I, too, will make you cry. And it'll be my name that you'll be crying out."

Ashton stepped out of the car with a concerned expression and addressed his brother, "Drake, please let go of her," his voice firm but gentle.

He looked at Drake with a sincere plea in his eyes, hoping to diffuse the situation.

Drake's grip around me tightened, and he shot Ashton a challenging glare. "I don't need your commands, Ashton. I know how to take care of her," he said confidently, keeping his eyes fixed on his brother.

Ashton shook his head in disbelief. "You're only going to hurt her, Drake. Can't you see that?" he said, stepping closer to us.

Drake's face turned dark, and he held me even closer. "I would never hurt her intentionally," he said, his voice tinged with frustration.

But Ashton needed to be convinced. "You already have, Drake. She's been crying because of you," he said, his concern for me evident in his words.

Wow, coming from you, Ashton. You are the one who made me cry, you bastard.

Drake looked at me, and I felt fear run through me. However, he surprised me by kissing me gently, his lips soft and warm on mine. "Please come with me, my love," he whispered, his eyes full of concern and affection.

I felt a rush of emotion, and I took his hand as he led me to his car, his hand firmly around my waist. Once inside, he lit a cigarette and exhaled slowly. "Let's go, George," he said, calm and reassuring.

I couldn't help but feel angry with him for his casual kiss earlier, and I glared at him. But he just shrugged and said, "It was just medicine, my dear. You'll feel better soon."

What?

As I started to feel drowsy, he held me close and whispered, "Don't worry, everything will be okay. You're safe with me."

Despite my anger, I drifted to sleep, comforted by his steady heartbeat. And as I closed my eyes, he whispered, "One day, you'll be my wife. And I promise to always protect you, no matter what."