Ice Cold

I pretended to blush. "Your heart is quite kind er, ...?"

"Paul." He smiled, falling for my romances.

"Paul..." I paused, as if pondering the name. "I must be going, but I do hope I will see much more of you!" I  remarked, wondering if he was smart enough to see my double meaning.

Paul nodded eagerly. He was a young, foolish knight, falling for every pretty face that smiled his way. He probably thinks I'm madly in love with him.  He himself is probably madly in love with me.

Just like every other young man in the castle.

I turned and walked a few feet before turning and waving again.

His eyes were clouded with lust.

I had almost made it to my chambers when my maid -Hyacinth- came running up to me breathlessly.

She stopped when she saw me, and curtsied gracefully. "My lady." she murmured.

"Goodness Cynthia! What has you running so?" I exclaimed.

She blushed. "My lady! There is news! Your cousin -Prince James- is coming to visit the castle! There is talk that he has grown to be a fine, handsome man like your uncle!"

James. Coming to visit. I had only seen him once before. I was but eight years of age, and he ten. I did not fancy him much. He had been awkward, unattractive and rude. And he hated me. Even as children he found me spoiled and vain. Perhaps it was true, but I despised him for realizing it.

But Cynthia said he was handsome now. And he would be king.

My grandfather was king of a very large empire, and had two sons. My father, and my uncle, Charles. My father was the elder. My grandfather had not seen reason why my father should get the kingdom, simply because he was older. So, being king, he split the kingdom into two fairly equally sized areas. One kingdom was given to my father, and the other to my uncle. Therefore when my uncle dies, my cousin James will be crowned king.

But it gets better.

I, Anastasia Marie, was my father's only child. A girl. Apparently so inferior to a man that I may not take what rightfully should be mine. No. Instead I had to live off of men. It may bother some women  more, but it did not particularly bother me. As long as I was beautiful, men would love me. If I woke up one morning and no longer was charming, I believe I might accidentally slip poison into my wine.

But since James is my fathers closest male relative, the kingdom will be given to him when my father dies. If I were to succeed in marrying James, I would gain twice what I would have had, were I born a man. If I were to succeed.

There was something hideous in me, that only I could see. I had a feeling from our last encounter , that James would be able see it as well. Perhaps if I flirted only with him when he was present? I knew it would not be enough.

Cynthia was eagerly awaiting my response.

"Excellent!" I lied. "I shall have a new dress made for his arrival. Turquoise I think. It should bring out my eyes, wouldn't you say?"

Cynthia nodded enthusiastically.

Poor girl. Bit unfortunate on the looks. Stringy brown hair and an unflattering smattering of spots that streaked across her face, and covered her from head to foot.

"You may send for the tailor now, Hyacinth."

She curtsied again before turning to go back the way she came.