Epilogue

Timeline of Events

[A word about dates in the Land: The Land and our world have certain calendric aspects in common.  Their months have the same names and number of days, for instance.  Years, however, follow an entirely different system that is dictated by the span of a Leader's rule.  For instance, Merryn is writing her letters to Theo in the month of May in Father to the People, year 21or FP21, meaning it is taking place during the twenty-first year of the current Leader's rule.  

Prior to the Father to the People (FP), Theo's grandfather, the Abundant One (AO) ruled for approximately thirty-three years.  So, when Theo's father took over, the year changed from AO33 to FP0.  Keep in mind when reading the events that the Land celebrates their New Year on whichever day the current leader took control, and in the case of the Father to the People, this day is October 30th.]

 Abundant One, year 0, November 17: The Leader, "the Abundant One" assumes power.  November 17th is New Year's Day for the next three-plus decades.

 AO9, December 29:  Arthur Jeffers is born.

 AO12, August 2: Merryn's father, Jonas Vale is born.

 AO16, January 23:  Merryn's mother Emilia Hammond is born.

 AO16, April 5: Francesca Martin is born.

 AO33, October 29:  The Leader, the Abundant One, dies.

Father to the People, year 0, October 30: The Leader, "Father to the People" assumes power.  October 30th becomes the latest New Year's Day in the Land.

FP0, February 4:  Francesca Martin is betrothed to the Leader.

 FP0, July 2:  Emilia and Jonas marry.

 FP0, September 27: Francesca is wed to the Leader.

 FP1, April 26: Graden Hammond Vale is born.

 FP2, June 18: Dashiell Hammond Vale is born.

 FP2, late September:  Jeffers unsuccessfully tries to resign from the Army, is recruited by the Dissent and becomes a spy.

FP3, August 9: Cole Hammond Vale is born.

FP4, September 6: Merryn Hammond Vale and Theobald Dorian Malcolm are born.

FP14, June 12-13: The Riots occur.  The city burns through the night.

FP14, June 18:  Dashiell's 12th birthday.  Merryn's parents are arrested and Merryn is separated from her family.

FP15, March 24:  Cull Day festival in which Merryn sings for the Leader.

FP15, April 14:  Merryn has her first tea with Francesca.

FP16, October:  An epidemic sweeps the Red Camp Merryn's family is being held at.  Cole and Dashiell, already on the verge of starvation, succumb to the virus.

FP17, November 13: Jeffers saves the Leader's life and is nearly killed in the process.

FP17, December 10: Jeffers resigns from the army siting medical hardship and returns to his parents' farm, where he continues to organize for the Dissent.

FP20, February 8: Merryn flees the Tower through Francesca's secret passageway and their weekly visits end.

FP20, June 1:  Graden is voted in as the leader of the Dissent with the promise that he will take down the Leader in a year's time.