I Won't Cry

"Why?" Scarlet's mother asked the crowd

Scilence answered her as Scarlet's coffin was laid into the ground. The tears roll down her mother's face, like a waterfall. Looking around, all I see is sorrow. Her brother Jettt, was sobbing tears of grief because in his heart, he knew he was responsible.

Wondering what emotion is on my face, I reach up to touch it. The shape of my chapped lips rested in just a strait line, yet my brows were furrowed. Much more emotion was on my face than what I was feeling inside.

"Where?"

The crowd still didn't have a reply as the coffin fell onto the earth. Taking a deep breath, the stench of the rotten corpse and fresh earth fills my nose. Running a hand through my hair, I try to focus on something other than the smell. If I have to stand here much longer, I think I'm going to vomit.

I tried to save her, we both tried to save her! Yet, all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Jett was holding her as she took her last breath, his tears dropped on her face as she uttered her last words. Looking at Scarlet's bruised and battered body, I couldn't tell that she was going to college next year as major in musical orchestra. I couldn't tell that she lost her life to a vaetris that was way too powerful for one to handle alone. All I could see was a dead corpse.

"How?" Scarlet's mother screamed.

The damn woman was still crying as dirt began to pile on. Just staring at the the pit made my stomach turn. Trying to look away, I turn my attention to digging into the pocket of my coat. Fishing out a dwindling pack of cigarettes, that holds my interest for second. Lighting one, I see several women giving me a look.

Looking away to avoid their glares, I start walking. It seemed the farther I got away, the louder her cries became. The pain coming from the woman was getting on my nerves. Taking a drag, I look back over to Jett. The tears going down his face seem to never end. I know I should be just like him, crying my eyes out. Yet, I feel nothing for Scarlet. It was her own stupidity that got her killed. Crushing the stub with my foot, I begin to walk faster toward my bike.

"Who?" was the last thing I heard before jumping on that bike.

Even though I knew the answer, I still got on. Deciding against a helmet, I rev up the motorcycle. The engines roar seems to drowns out her pain and mine.The icy wind numbs my face, but I can tell I have a smirk on my face. Living dangerously is the only thing that makes me feel whole again.

What would make that woman understand that no human killed her precious daughter. The spawn of hell, veatris have ran rampant across the word. How would I explain that something that she would call a demon, was solely responsible for Scarlet's heart to stop beating. 

Going over the speed limit, I drive over to a local Internet cafe a few miles away. Ordering a drink, I sit down at one of the row of the computers. Searching news pages for any unusual violence that has taken place in the grater New York area.

Smiling, I see that police failed to make a drug bust at a local crack house. Doing more research, I notice that it was only five minutes away from where I was, and there wasn't a full detailed report about it. Grinning like a cheshire cat, I knew it was the work of a veatris. They're notorious for running huge drug corporations, and a head honcho must have been there. Sounds like my kind of party.

Reading more into the article, I see that three police officers died  over "strange circumstances." That makes my smile fade. Innocent human's live were constantly being lost over the fight against the vermin of hell.  

Chugging the rest of my drink, I make a move to stand up. Yet, a firm grasp on my shoulder holds me down. Looking up, I see Jett staring down at me with tears in his eyes.

"She's dead." he chokes out.

"Well no shit Sherlock. I just saw her get lowered six feet under."

He clenches hes fist, and the rage in his eyes almost boils overs. I smirk at him, knowing that might set him off. I would like to see him try to hit me.

Yet, he does the most predictable thing Jett could ever do. He closes his eyes, takes a few deep breaths, and calms down. Too bad. I would have loved to see him take a swing at me.

"How can you be so cold to all of this Raven?" he asked while sitting down.

He almost yells out in anger when I don't react, and the rage comes once again. Maybe Jett will surprise me this time. 

"She is dead! Scarlet is dead and you sat there and watched her die! Damn it Raven! Why don't you feel just one god-damned thing in your entire life?" he screams.

Staring at him, I close the window on the computer. I know if he saw the article, he rush over there in anger, just like his dead sister would.  He is in no condition to hunt veatrises right now. Well, she isn't either at the moment. 

His breathing begins to slow, and some how he forces his emotions under the surface. Yet, we both know that it won't hold for long.

"You know the answer to that. Must I say it again?"

"What do you mean?" he asks, generally confused.

"You don't remember the pack we made with Darkness?"

"Are you kidding me right now?"

"Nope. I'm as serious as a heart attack. You can give it all away. Your pain, your anger, you fears would be gone in an instant."

"I don't want to be an empty shell, like you." he sneers.

"Fine then. I'll tell Darkness that you have been compromised. And you know how well she'll take that." I say with a smirk, knowing that it would piss him off.

He looks at me with disbelief, but I continue,"You know what she'll do. The skeleton used to be someone just like you. I think his name was Anthony. "

"You mean the one that people practiced on?" Jet asks, visibly scared now.

Good, maybe I can talk some sense into him. I know he's hurting, and I know I would if I haven't given up myself to Darkness. Becoming one with chaos, helps fight the sadness that comes with the lifestyle of being a veatris hunter. Jett just needs to see that, and all will be fine. Just like Darkness promised.

"Yes. Now, let me ask you officially, and yes your answer will affect your future. Do you want the purification process? Or do you want to become like Anthony?"

"What other choice do I have? I guess the purification process." he says as tears roll down his face.

"Good." I say with a grin.