Chapter One

This story has been moved to Patreon. You can read the complete story for FREE on my Patreon page using the hashtag #withopenwings, link in my bio.

Chapter One

I found him just inside the border. He was curled in fetal position under the Sycamore tree covered in blood and fatal gashes. Only the faint beat of his heart let me know he was alive, holding on to life with just a thin thread that could snap at any second. The violent strikes of lightning illuminated the paleness of his skin, stark against the muddy grounds. His hair was caked with mud but still, I was able to see the pure white color of it.

I didn't know where he came from or how he got here, but as I scooped the small, fragile body into my arms, I knew that things would never be the same.

"Oh thank goodness you're back! We were so worried! Why would you run off like that? Are you insane?" I dealt with mom's scolding for the past five minutes, but as she yelled I zoned out, my mind traveling to the boy. Was he alright? Where did he come from? What happened to him? Will he live?

"Rezeriel! Are you listening to me?" I looked up at my mother sharply. Her honey gold eyes boring into mine. I sighed, pulling her into a hug. When her arms came around me after a pause, I knew I had been forgiven.

"I'm sorry, Mamá," I whispered into her soft brown curls. She shook in my arms and immediately I felt guilty for putting her through so much stress. Especially since Nias didn't come home last night. She's been worried sick and he hasn't even called. I tried his phone multiple times but always went straight to voicemail. The rest said we should wait another day before sending a hunting party.

"Um, Nami? We need you immediately," Herst appeared from thin air with an urgent tone in his voice and an anxious look in his eyes. My stomach clenched painfully with fear. Mom jumped up quickly, hurrying after him. I followed after them both, as he led the way to the medical house. Each step increased the grasp in my gut.

It wasn't him was it?

He's okay, right?

Bursting in the doors, mom rushed over to the bed where the boy laid. But he wasn't still, instead thrashing around like a wild animal, desperately writhing in obvious pain. My jaw clenched uncomfortably as I watched. It pained me to just watch and not be able to do anything but I knew if I tried, I'd only get in the way. Mom hovered her hands over his untamed frame, glowing a bright golden color that only the Goddess could unleash.

It was no use though, her healing powers had no effect. Our medics rushed around trying to stabilize him but to no avail.

Touch him.

A powerful voice echoed in my head. I felt compelled to listen, and like chimes it repeated the demand.

Touch him.

I found myself moving closer, approaching faster.

Touch him, I give you my blessing.

It was Her. I felt the Goddess' essence all around me, enveloping me with her golden glow. The power was incredible, unlike anything I had ever felt.

The voices around me seemed so far away. Muffled by distance. The cries warned me to stay back, demanded to know what I was doing, commanding me to move out of the way. I didn't listen, I couldn't. It was as if my body moved on its own accord.

Down in front of me was him. A face so beautiful, he could be nothing but the Goddess' child. I saw my heart in him. So full, so pure. Hesitantly, I reached over him, drawing my hand back a few times in uncertainty. But once my skin brushed his, the entire world vanished. Like a drop in still water, the wave knocked out every and anything that was not him.

With a jolt, his eyes flew open and he gasped, gulping down a breath, arching his back off the bed. Panting, he settled back into the bloodied sheets. But as I gazed at his skin, I could see none of the bruises or cuts that were there before. Amazed, I gawked at him, at his impossibly violet eyes that shimmered in curiosity. Our eyes were locked on one another's, unable to break free of the hold we both had.

He was an angel.

With the most cherubic features to ever grace a being. I was enthralled, helpless against a face that glorious.

But like a whip, pain slashed at my chest just above my heart. I cried out, falling to my knees. My heartbeat increased tenfold, until I felt as if it would leap from my chest. My eyes bulged and teared before I fell over to the floor and blackness overcame me.

Something smells nice. I cracked my eyes opened to the brightness of the medical center. I blinked a few times trying to comprehend my surroundings until a body squirmed against mine. I jumped slightly, looking beside me to find a head of snow white locks and pale creamy skin.

Him.

He snuggled closer to my chest, holding me tightly as if he were afraid I'd disappear. I brought my hand to his cheek, brushing the soft skin gently, adoring how celestial he was. Giving a small yawn, his eyes fluttered open, gazing up at me with those big violet eyes.

"It's you," I whispered finally understanding why I felt so strongly for this boy I had just met. Come to think of it, I didn't even know his name...

But it was him, without a doubt.

Not uttering a single word, he raised his head, eyes closing ever so slowly before his lips touched mine.

It was so perfect, so right. With no other words to describe what bliss I felt, I kissed him back, holding his small frame close to me, cupping his head in my palms. His lips were full and soft, pouty to the extreme. I savored the tangy sweet taste of him and the electric shocks that shot through my body. Pure ecstasy and nothing like it.

So this is what its like to be with your mate?

"Erm...am I interrupting?"

My head snapped up and almost like an instinct, I yanked the sheets up to cover the boy's nude body, even if it was simply his chest that was exposed. A strong protective streak coursed through me. I would do anything for this boy, throw my life at his feet, be at his every beck and call. I would be his everything.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, my voice hoarse as if it hadn't been used in a while.

"Your mother would like to come check on you. We've been really worried. You were out for an entire week." I glanced over at the boy who stared up at me in wonder. Without being able to help it, I planted a small kiss to his nose. He closed his eyes before snuggling even closer to me.

"We're fine. We just need some food and clothes. Tell everyone that no one is to come in here until he is fully clothed. And no one is to touch him without my permission."

He nodded before disappearing behind the door, shutting it softly.

I turned my attention back down to my mate who had curled around me. I eased the sheet down exposing his smooth skin, planting small kisses down his shoulder.

I nearly died when I heard his soft moan in response. Could he be more adorable? I have never known anyone so cute.

Bari.

"Bari?" I asked softly, testing out the name that had transpired in my mind from the unknown. He opened his eyes to look at me.

"Yes?" Dear Goddess. His voice! It matched his face! It even had the same chime like the Goddess herself. I have been blessed. Such a beautiful sound had my heart beating so fast, I was lost.

"Are you alright?"

He nodded letting out a small "hmm" sound. I curled his tiny hand in my own. He was so tiny, so delicate, I was afraid he'd break with the slightest pressure.

"I'm going to get you clothes okay?" I started to get up but lightning fast, he latched onto my arm with fear in his eyes. Planting a gentle kiss on his forehead I reassured him. "I'm not leaving the room." After a pause, his grip loosened before his hand fell away. I wrapped him up in the sheet as he sat up on the medic bed watching me curiously.

I stretched my limbs before grabbing my pants and slipping them on, I took my shirt over to him slipping it over his head. It fit him like a dress.

"When they come with real clothes we can leave from here, okay?" He nodded. I sat down on the corner of the bed, running my fingers through my hair. What is taking them so long? Get some food and some goddamn clothes, its not rocket science!

Bari crawled over, settling onto my lap. He fit there so perfectly, I was sure he would stay there forever.

"Where did you come from?" I asked him.

He blinked up at me.

Okay...

I tried a different question.

"Why did you come to this territory?"

"To find you."

I raised a brow. To find me? "How did you know where I was? Who I am?"

He blinked at me again. I thought he wasn't going to answer so I began to ask another question until he spoke.

"I always know where you are. We share one soul."

Well that's true, but how come I could never sense him? Why was it one sided? To be honest, I didn't think I would ever find my mate. So many don't, it was such a rare occurrence.

"How did you get hurt?"

"I can't tell you." he admitted softly, looking down at our intertwined hands. I furrowed my brow.

"Why not?"

"The Goddess does not will it so. In time the truth will be revealed. Until then, protect me."

"With my life," I vowed, tilting his chin up, kissing those delicious lips again. I felt his hands running through my hair as he pressed himself against me. The scent of his arousal slammed into me so overwhelmingly, I was lost to the growl that had ripped its way from my throat.

And then there was a knock on the door.

Figures.