Introduction

I don’t care if this first sentence hooks you or not. I’m not writing this for anyone’s entertainment. I'm not writing this for you. I’m writing this for myself. Maybe I can finally say goodbye and gain closure. That’s the plan. But my plans usually don't work out.

My name is Jake, short for Jacob. I grew up in a small town in Vermont and I went to college in New York City. I studied there for four years, and I spent another two to get my masters degree. You shouldn’t really care about that and I don’t know why I’m telling you. It has nothing to do with the point of this book. I said before that I’m writing this book for myself, but in truth that’s only a small part. I’m doing this for Oliver.

Oliver and I were committed boyfriends for four years of our lives. He was great to say the least. If I could describe him in three words I'd ask for more because he was funny, caring, charming, sexy, cute, polite, and lovable. That's what we had; love. We were in love with each other.

The years I spent with Ollie were the best in my life, hands down. We shared the best relationship anyone could ever ask for, like those ones you see on tumblr and the ones you dream about with the perfect guy. It's like one of those stories you read about where nothing goes wrong and everything's perfect. But then, all of a sudden, it wasn't.

If you're wondering why I'm saying Oliver and I had the best relationship together, it's because we aren't together anymore.

Oliver is gone.

This is our story.