That Evening

The setting sun was beguiling, wrapping up different colors. The sound of waves striking the shore had a harmony of its own. Cool breeze was acting like a hairdresser, constantly changing our hairstyles & even whispering in ear. Birds were on their way back home. There were almost fifteen odd people in the vicinity, most of them busy in their own world.

"Shall we go back?" She said looking into my eyes.

"Hmmm, I think so, but you are not letting me go” I said smiling back.

"What did I do? I’ve never stopped you!” she replied naively.

"Is it so? Then who's holding my hand since so long?”

I took a glance at my watch “It’s almost six-thirty!"

"Six-thirty! I asked you to remind me at six! Why didn't you?"

"I don't like to let you go; I hate it!"

"Even I don't like; but I can’t help it!" I couldn't see her nervous face; so to change the topic I said, “I think I’m going to talk to your dad about our marriage!"

"Really? When?" The charm on her face was so awesome that for few seconds I forgot that I have to answer her question.

"Shortly, I promise!" getting up I said! “Your highness, let’s go!” I extended my hand to help her get up.

“Aww! That’s so sweet!” she said smiling.

“Actually you have grown fat; it would take another 15 minutes for you to get moving!” I said laughing.

“You!” I do not have to mention here that rest of the time I was getting beaten up!

“Want to have some ice cream?” I asked!

“No! I don’t want anything now!” she replied furiously.

“Oh sweetie, you got angry huh? I was kidding back there, you have not grown fat trust me!”

“Ok!”

My trick worked this time as I knew that she loves ice cream.

“I’ll be back in two minutes", and I left for grabbing ice cream cones.

We were enjoying the ice cream and suddenly her smiling face got serious; she looked scared as if she saw some ghost!

“What happened? Did ice cream taste bitter?” I said joked.

“My… My dad!”

“What?” 

I turned around and to my surprise her dad saw us both eating ice cream from a single cone! Now it was my turn to get a pale face! Her dad approached us at a furious pace.

“What are you doing here and who is this guy is?”

“Dad… Actually...”

“Uncle; Actually…” I tried to help her. I could give my own introduction.

“Did I ask you the question? You stay out of this” her dad continued with his question on to her! She could not utter a word out of fear (my condition was no different).

“We’ll talk at home, let’s go!” Her dad took her along with him; I couldn’t even properly say bye to her (or in that case good bye). God knows this could be our last meet!

My brain swirled with a storm of thoughts! Everything inside had messed up (I’m not a doctor or biology student or I could have explained exactly what messed up with what!) With that kind of tension I decided to follow her to her home; praying on the way that all should be fine! I even tried chanting “All Izz Well” but it seemed to help very little!

I wanted to talk to her; I was going crazy. I stood at her doorstep and started to imagine what situation she must be in. This made me more restless (all typical Bollywood movie type scenarios in my mind). I called up one of my friend and narrated him what happened!

 “Don’t worry buddy; I’ll be there within an hour; we’ll try to sort it out!”

 I got some guts after speaking with my friend and I thought about what could be done next?

“Hey can you come home please?” her SMS popped up on my cell! My heart started to pump like the engine of a car!

I replied "ok" and started to guess what the situation could be

“Her dad would ask me questions related to my job, certainly! Salary will be next question, he may also ask do I have my own home or I live in a rented house. My family background would come next or may also ask whether I own any automobile”.

“Or else he would just shout at me and would ask me to forget his daughter forever. He can ask me to stay out of her life; just the way he said me back there at ice cream parlor! No, no! I can’t face it! I can’t bare such a tragic end to this! No I can’t!”

I had promised her an hour ago that I'll talk with her dad; I never thought it would be so soon! I was kind of going out of my mind; so I decided to stop thinking and visit her home instead! I gathered all the confidence that I’d (confidence elopes in the worst of situations) and rang the doorbell!

Her dad answered the door (my confidence again on its way back to escape) I smiled at him (I’m still not sure whether I smiled or not) and said hello!

“Do you have helicopter?”

“I… I’m sorry... What?” I expected her dad would ask me various questions, also questions related to owning a vehicle, I was prepared for, but wait; a helicopter? This was not what I expected! Her dad wants such a rich guy to marry his daughter? Then I’m out, right here!

“Are you deaf?” Next question right away! I did not answer the first due to all mess and thinking going on in my head; so I decided to stop thinking completely and face the interview (this is a better word now).

“No uncle, I… I don’t have helicopter”

“Oh, then how could you make it so early here? You stay in Panaji right?”

“Oh, Ya… Ya! I stay in Panaji!” relaxed by that I said smiling at her dad!

Her dad called me inside the home; I was praying he would not shoot me as I’ve learned previously he’s an ex-army man! In the meanwhile I was looking for her; but there was no sign of her.

“Have a seat”

“So where do you work at?” It was kind of rapid fire in ten minutes; I answered almost fifty odd questions in those ten minutes; still in tension about the result going to come out of this conversation! I was never so serious and focused while attending any of my Interviews.

“Do your parents know about this?”

“Yes” I replied.

 “Are they ok with this?”

“Yes” I said

“So, will you keep her happy always?” This was the question I was looking for, I answered it so well that he seemed to be impressed!

“Well than, call your parents over here; let’s have a talk about further things”

“Sure uncle, I’ll let you know when we all can meet” I couldn’t speak any more; I was totally elated. I just wanted to meet her & tell this news; but probably she heard our conversation! Her SMS said, “You were stupid, mad & dumb as hell.  But still you managed to impress my dad!”

I walked out of her home in the way as if I’ve won the world! That happiness was priceless! I met my friends when I was about to start my bike!

“Dude what happened? Where is she?”

“What’s to be done next dude?”

“Did you talk to her dad?”

“If her dad’s not ready, you both just elope; we’ll handle rest of the things”

 I smiled at them and said; “Guys everything is taken care of! Her dad agreed! We’ll talk over this over a coffee now, let’s go; My treat”

All my friends laughed out of joy and we all rushed to the coffee shop nearby!

- Omkar Patil