Beginnings

He clenched his fist out of hate for the last time.

                Conner took a step back and found he was alone. If he was going to be a true hero, he would have to prove to himself that he was good. No matter how many people he saved, he still couldn’t fill the hole inside of him. 

                He looked around himself again. Where had all of his friends gone? Where was any love? Conner knew that to have change, he must put it in motion.

                Conner stood upon a rooftop, looking out into the vast space around him. Stars flickered in the night sky. He just stood there, embracing the world.

                Peace is hard to find in such a fast moving world.

                Conner just wanted time to stop, or at least slow down. He just wanted a moment to breathe, a moment to think and act. Inside, he felt he could not turn to anyone. Most of all, he couldn’t turn to a father, either one of them. It was time to leave Smallville.

                Conner didn’t want to join Clark in Metropolis either. He called up Dick to help arrange a place for him to stay. Dick found Conner an apartment in a small southern Illinois town. This way Conner could lay low, be normal for a bit.

                It took Conner a day to settle in his new home, a new home, in which he will live alone for the first time. He even managed to enroll in the local school. For the first time, in a long time, time itself, seemed to be slowing to a good pace.