The Day We Met

Lights flickered and flashed everywhere. Laughter mixed with the sound of blasting music as it danced around the children who were eager to win games. The scent of the food carts could be smelt from blocks away; the typical cliché carnival. I stood alone next to a ball toss game. Both of my friends had ditched me. Probably to go see their boyfriends. I'm the only one without a boyfriend out of my group of friends, but I don't mind.

A gust of wind blew in my hair and tickled my cheek. The wind brought the sweet aroma of elephant ears . My stomach growled and I was suddenly craving one. I tapped at my back pocket to make sure I still had my wallet intact and decided to walk to a food stand close by. Only a few people were waiting in line including me. People lined up behind me scrambling to pull out their money; I did the same. It only cost $5, but my wallet only contained $4. Great.

"How way I help you?" a middle aged woman wearing a hair net asked.

"Uh, one elephant ear please," I managed to say.

The woman pulled the sugary dough onto a plate and placed it on the counter.

"That'll be five dollars please."

"I'm afraid I only have four dollars," I stammered as I placed the cash on the counter. She snarled at me until a hand from behind me slapped a dollar bill on the counter and brushed my shoulder as it retreated. I swiftly grabbed the plate and turned around to gaze upon a guy about my age.

"Thank you," I managed with a smile. The corners of his lips turned up.

"Oh, it was nothing," he replied, flashing his dimples my way.

We shuffled through crowds of people and decided to sit under a large oak tree.

"I'm Mark Corisca by the way," he chuckled.

"Torie Helinski," I replied, attempting to give him an attractive smile but failing miserably. I nodded towards the sugary elephant ear and crammed some into my mouth before speaking, "Want some?" I asked. Mark didn't seem to mind my manners, and only laughed.

"Sure. I mean that's why I was waiting in that line anyway," he beamed, reaching for the plate on my lap.

We talked about general things: age, school, family, and our career choices. It turns out he's 18, only one year older than me and plans on going into the medical field also.

"So, how about some real food?" Mark asked as he stood up. Dark shadows cascaded on his face, highlighting his jawline. Mark reached out and I took his hand in mine, using it to stand up.

"Alright. Where to? I used up everything I had in my wallet," I admitted.

"It's a surprise," he grinned.

Still holding hands, I tossed my plate in a nearby garbage can as he led us across the street. Up ahead was a McDonalds, and after we had walked into the parking lot, I knew this is where we were eating. How romantic. Although, understandable considering he was paying for it. Mark slipped his hand out from mine to open the door for me, smiling wide enough to show off his enticing dimples and perfectly aligned teeth. We were greeted by the sweet serenity of chocolate syrup and french fries. Regaining his grip on my hand, we walked up to the register.

"Hi, how may I help you today?" an older man asked cheerfully.

"Well I'll have a number six, grilled please with a sprite," Mark said.

"Will that be a large, sir?" the man asked. Robert was written on his nametag.

"Oh, yes please," Mark replied smiling. "And..." he trailed off, gesturing towards me.