Chapter Twenty-three

Robyn

I rested my head on the desk, my eyes squeezed shut. I was exhausted, which was making my eyes hurt. Every form of light was burning into them, and I couldn't focus on the teacher. The only thing keeping me from running from this classroom was the fact it was my last class today.

"Are you alright?" The boy who was sitting to my right whispered.

I lifted my head and nodded, trying to force a smile unto my face.

As soon as he looked away I dropped my head back onto the desk and groaned.

I was washed with relief when the class ended a few minutes later, and I ran out.

"Robyn!" The red head, Alexis, who'd been all over me at the mall stepped in front of me.

"What do you want?" I demanded, my temper short due to my aching eyes.

"How are you, and that hot Russian of yours?"

"She's not mine," I said, not even bothering to look at her as I walked away.

"She has a thing for you, little Robbie," I could hear the sneer in her tone as she mimicked Sabastienne's nickname for me. "You're even wearing her jacket, you should watch yourself."

"Why!?" I spun round tightening the jacket around me, "she would never hurt me!"

"Alright sweetie, if that's what you believe," she blew me a kiss, "you'll see."

I stormed off and burst into my room. I found Sabastienne already there, talking to Anthony.

"Hey," I dropped my stuff on my bed.

"Hi," both replied.

I took a minute to regain control of my shaking body which wanted to beat the shit out of that Alexis.

"I'm going for a shower," I stated, once calm, and Sabby nodded. I could've sworn her eyes widened a little but I wasn't totally sure.

I washed quickly and towelled my hair half dry before going back into the bedroom and collapsing onto my bed.

Sabastienne was alone now, Anthony had disappeared. I raised my head to look across at her. She smiled and I did too, before letting my head fall back. A few seconds later I curled up under the covers, preparing to go to sleep.

"Robbie," Sabby whispered, "are you tired?"

"Wake me for dinner," I mumbled, already half asleep.

"Alright, sleep well. Dream of me my beautiful girl."

I wasn't sure if she actually said that, or I dreamt it.

I kind of hoped it was the first.

***

Someone was shaking me. That was the first thought that registered in my head. Someone was shaking me and I wanted them to stop.

I hit whoever it was. But the shaking didn't stop.

"Go away," I moaned, but this person was determined to get me up.

I tried to fall asleep again but it was impossible. Whoever this was was going to pay!

I sat bolt upright, and my head connected with something warm and soft, which yelped in pain.

"Shit! That fucking hurt!" I knew that voice.

It was Sabastienne.

"Fuck, I'm sorry!" I was wide awake now, all traces of sleepiness gone.

My head had connected with her neck, which was evident as she now held it.

"I'm sorry," I repeated, getting out of bed.

I approached her, and my hands touched hers, gently parting them to examine the damage.

There was a bruise already forming quite high up on her neck. Her eyes burned into me and I felt an odd twinge of arousal at the sight.

Then I started to laugh, I couldn't help myself.

"What?" Sabby demanded, and she sounded pissed off.

"Y-you've got a bruise on y-your neck," I stuttered, laughing too hard to speak properly.

"What's funny about that?"

"I-it looks like... Just like a..." I clutched my sides, and tried to calm myself down. But then I looked at her, and it came bubbling back up again. "It looks like... A hickey!"

She stared at me stony faced, then went into the bathroom to check.

"Shit! How am I supposed to hide it?" She shouted, and I tiptoed in behind. My arms looped around her waist and my head rested on her shoulder.

"Don't hide it, say I gave you it," I kissed her cheek, "but don't say how."

Sabastienne stared at me in the mirror, and she still looked pissed.

I turned her so she was facing me, and pressed my lips to hers softly.

"Don't be mad at me," I whispered, "I didn't mean it."

I ran my hands through her hair and deepened the kiss. She responded instantly, her tongue pushing into my mouth, and swirling around mine. I moaned into her mouth, then blushed at how easily she affected me.

She didn't notice. She was too busy kissing me.

My heart was thumping loudly. Even after what we'd done I still got so terribly nervous around her. And that stupid blush that was always on my face around her. She said she liked it, but all it did was irritate me. I wanted to be confident, like she was. I was too young for that, I guessed.

Maybe when I was older. Would she still be around then? Or would she get bored of me? That thought terrified me. That she would find someone else to mess around with, and leave me in the dust. Leaving me to be another one of those sad girls who lusted after her.

"Robbie?" Sabby said my name softly, "are you okay?"

I'd been so lost in my thoughts I hadn't even noticed we'd stopped kissing.

"I, uh, yes... Yes I'm fine."

"You know you can talk to me about anything," she said and I nodded, steeling myself to meet her eyes.

"I'm fine, I promise."

I don't know why I lied. I always did when things were getting to me. I could deal with them myself though, I didn't need anyone else.

"Come on," I said, turning away from her, "I'm hungry."

I left the room, and she followed silently. I think she knew I wasn't being truthful. But how could I tell her?

The answer was I couldn't. There were so many reasons not to. Plus I wasn't even sure of my feelings for her. All I knew was that my crush had developed. A lot. Probably too much. But I couldn't think about it.

"If you don't think about it, it doesn't exist," I whispered the phrase I'd used all my life. It had always worked.

But for some reason I wasn't sure it would now.