Chapter 1 - Claddagh

Chapter One: Claddagh

Sky River, North Dakota - Present Day

        "Class, this is Rileigh Mason, she's new to Sky River. I expect you to treat her with respect and show her around." Mr. Andrews introduced me to his English class, fifteen sets of eyes stared up at me. But I wasn't about to let them intimidate me, I wouldn't be that new "awkward" student. I kept my chin high and looked every one of them in the eye—not shying away from the glares I got from the girls, or the guys who were undressing me with their eyes. "Rileigh you can take the empty seat behind Stacy." Mr. Andrews gestured to a seat behind a petite red headed girl—and when I say red I mean apple red.

        I ignored the silent whispers as I made my way to my seat. When I was situated with my books out, the teacher started the lesson of the day, something about Shakespeare or...something - I zoned out before I caught any of it.

        Looking around the classroom at all the unfamiliar faces made me long for Seattle, where I used to live up until one week ago when my mother decided to drag me from the city to the Middle-of-Nowhere, North Dakota—she figured it would be good for us, 'A nice change' she would say. 

        I pulled out my cell phone and held it in my hand under my desk keeping it out of sight, then punched the keys, Em, in my first class now, one word, lame. I hit send, sending the text message to my best friend Emily in Seattle.

        My phone vibrated, and I read her message, OMG Rise, wish you were here, you'll never guess who's dating!. I replied with a quick I'll call you after school and closed my phone.

        When I looked back up to the front of the class Mr. Andrews was staring directly at me with his arms crossed. He looked pretty young for an English teacher; best guess would put him at around twenty four. Usually when I hear "English teacher", an image of a grey haired man with glasses and a pot belly pops in my head. That was the complete opposite of this man.

        Mr. Andrews had short neatly cut light blonde hair with bright blue eyes, and he was dressed casual with a light pair of pants and a navy blue pull over sweater. I would be lying if I said he wasn't hot because now that I was taking the time to really look at him...he was definitely easy on the eyes. 

        "Miss Mason." 

        "Yeah teach?" I replied with a smile.

        Obviously trying to catch me off guard he asked, "Do you mind telling me when Shakespeare was born?" Tilting his head slightly to the side, he waited to see what I would say. 

        "That's a trick question." I said, "you see the actual birthday of Mr. William Shakespeare is unknown, however, it is known he was baptized on April twenty sixth in fifteen, sixty four and died on April twenty third sixteen, sixteen, and his birthday is celebrated on the date of his death." I ran a hand through my long coffee coloured hair brushing it back and smiled smugly.

        "Very...good." He eyed me incredulously, "very good indeed..."

        I heard a couple of my classmates snickering behind me. Mr. Andrews turned back to the black board to continue his lesson.

        The rest of the class dragged by as I listened to Mr. Andrews map out Shakespeare's life, nothing I didn't already know. When the bell rang, I couldn't get out of there sooner, and lucky for me it was lunch already—since I had a free period in the morning, my classes didn't start until second period.

        "Miss Mason, a minute of your time please." So much for my fast break-away.

        I turned around, "Yeah Teach?" I walked over and plopped myself on top of the desk directly in front of his—which he was standing behind.