Rising to the Challenge

The King's piercing blue eyes were clouded with rage and determination as he grasped the large diamond sword, causing his large arm muscles to swell and knuckles to turn white. Ray sighed, staring at the brilliantly decorated king as he danced back and forth with his sparring partner. The notably handcrafted swords sparked brilliantly as they clashed with one another. The engrossing sounds of the spar drew the attention of the young knights and castle servants who were nearby. There were "oohs" and "aahs" being drawn from the crowd as Ray forced his eyes closed and winced when the king's tan, soft skin was sliced by the opponent's sword. The King hissed, gritting his teeth as the dark rosy liquid dripped down his bicep. Though Ray usually embraced the King's thick skin and hardheadedness, but he hated the stubbornness, and had even gone so far as to call it arrogance, towards the idea of using sparing swords. 

"It's just not realistic." The King had said, waving his had as if to dismiss Ray and the argument. 

"Your majesty, that is the point. We can't afford to have you wounded." Ray had plead. "What if you get sliced up by some inexperienced solider?"  The King scoffed at the idea of someone overpowering him in his own castle, on his own sparing grounds. Ray had to admit, it felt that it would take an army to take down his King. Waving his hands around, Ray had continued, "what if a cut gets infected? It could spread. You could fall ill-" Ray said quietly, "you could die.

The King had sighed, putting his large, calloused hands on Ray's slender shoulders, looking into Ray's dark brown eyes, "I really do appreciate your concern, but I have my mind set on using sharpened blades." 

Ray had sighed and had felt parts of his face being to twist in fear and defeat. There was nothing Ray could say to change his mind, for if he pushed further, the King may lose his temper. And Lord knows, that is never good.  Ray turned his head to the side to avoid the King's eyes burning holes in his. "Yes, your majesty."

Ray opened his eyes to see his King swing his large sword over his head and into the shield of his opponent. The opposing man was caught off balance, causing him to fumble backwards. The sparer yelped as the King drove the sword to the man's' neck. The dust from the sandy arena settled as the crowed strained their necks, desperately trying to see. Ray peered through the dust as it calmed itself, his heart fluttering a mile a minute. 'Don't let him be hurt. Please.'  Ray pleaded to himself. The servant let out a shaky breath as The King stood towering over the opponent, the tip of his blade lightly sat on the nape his neck. Ray's heart was beating so loudly in his throat, he was sure the servants next to him could hear it.

The King huffed and straightened his back, ignoring the chattering crowd around him. He looked from the man on the ground to Ray, just a few feet away, brow furrowed with worry. The King's heart fluttered as he made eye contact with the younger man. Just how long had he been watching? The King smiled, hoping he'd put on a good show at the very least, and looked back to his opponent, he extended the arm that was not dripping blood towards the man on the ground. The smaller man looked at the hand with caution, slowly raising his own. Once in the King's grasps, he yanked the sparer to his feet, patting him on the back. "You did well, thank you for the battle." The King said the the man, as his servants rushed in to take the armor off the large King.

The defeated grinned, "Thank you for sparring with me, your majesty!" The King chuckled and walked away from the sparing grounds. Now being stripped of his armor, King Ryan sported a thin tunic and loose trousers, which shouldn't have been flattering on anyone. There were beads of sweat rolling down his face, which was pink from exertion, making his eyes pop even more gloriously than before. Ray blushed as the King's gaze bore into him. As annoyingly attractive the King was, he had never married, never produced an heir. Nothing. He's always turned down the women who have thrown themselves at him, always denied any marriages with the most beautiful and powerful women. He wanted none of it. And it made Ray angry.