Holmes in London

SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH...

TAP TAP TAP...

"........"

SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH...

TAP TAP TAP...

"........"

I started to noticing the sound after I came out of mourning for my husband. And after that, the sound returned every night to haunt me.

"........"

SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH...

"........"

A sound as if the walls were being scraped. As if someone or something was walking around inside the walls. I couldn't control myself any longer, so I spoke up.

"Darling... Is that you?"

..... TAP TAP TAP.....

"........"

Is it my husband's ghost? Maybe I only think this kind of irrational thought because my life is not as stable anymore. Some people are certain that ghosts exist, but I've never believed in that sort of thing. Or rather, I've never wanted to believe.

The dead rest in peace... awaiting the final judgement at the hands of God. They rest in peace, without any pain or worries. I want that to be true because if it isn't...

TAP TAP TAP...

"........"

The sound kept harrowing me night and night again.

(Next morning)

"...Sigh..."

"You know, they say that when you sigh, you let happiness escape."

"Huh? Oh... Sorry, James."

"It's alright. Do I bore you that much?"

"No, that's not it at all! I'm really grateful that you are always trying to cheer me up. Even though we're only neighbours, you've being kind to me, James. I'm so lucky you moved here."

"It's nothing to thank me for. I'm just renting the place as an alterier. but I'm really happy to have a beautiful and friendly lady next door."

"Thank you. It's nice to hear, even though it's only flattery. Anyway, how is painting business going?"

"Hmm. Same old same old, I guess."

"How's your job working for that newspaper? You might even become famous, one day."

"It's okay. Never mind that, though, Isabelle. Did you make up your mind yet?"

"Excuse me?"

"I was wondering... uh... if you were ready to respond to my feeling yet."

"Oh... but I'm still... it's too."

"It's not too early. I've been waiting so long already."

"B-But I just came out of my mourning for my husband."

"That's a good thing. You're not wearing your mourning dress anymore, right?"

"No, but..."

"I think it's about time that you should be happy, don't you think? I know I'm only a simple painter who's not popular, but I understand if you had reservations about the future, but..."

"No! That's not on my mind at all!"

"Then what is it? Do you think I can't be relied on because I'm younger than you?"

"No, that's not it either. I just don't want to think about these kind of stuff yet."

"How long do you plan to keep me hanging?"

"S-Sorry...um."

"Sorry about that. Perhaps I'm being too overbearing."

"It's okay."

"There is something else I want to ask you, a favour."

"Sure! If it is anything I can do to help."

"There is. I've been asked to submit a painting for an upcoming art exhibit and I want you to be my model."

"Huh? A model?"

"You can do that, right?"

"No I can't do that! Surely you can ask someone more..."

"Yes you can! You can and you're perfect for it!"

"........"

"Please, Isabelle."

"James, I..."

"........"

"Once...uh...once I feel comfortable about it then."

"Yes! Thanks, Isabelle!"

"Uh... Don't mention it. You've always been kind to me, it's the least I can do."

"Oh, you don't have to repay me or anything, I do that because I love you"

"I...uh."

"So...uh, Isabelle."

RING