Chapter One: The Letter

This is a really stupid idea. I don’t know what I’m even doing here and why I’m going to give this to him. We haven’t even talked in two years, two very long years. I always secretly hoped that we would talk again somehow, that he would call me or talk to me, but that never happened and eventually, I stopped hoping. Our friendship was lost I guess, so I moved on.

Though I don’t know why I think I should give him this letter. I guess just as a final goodbye and to tell him I miss him. At first he called and texted me but then the texts and calls got more spread out until they just stopped happening. It was heart breaking because he was my best friend. He still is to me, but I don’t know what he thinks of me anymore.

My hands shake with nervousness as I get closer and closer to the group of boys at the top of the stage. I was lucky that he was the first boy at the table so I could just give him the letter and go but I wasn’t even sure if I could do that. My stomach was rolling and doing flips and I felt as though I should just run away but I held my ground.

Only three more girls and then I’m up. God how I just wanted to turn around and run away but I know I needed this. This would give me a sense of finality so I could let it go. I could let him go. Another girl goes up and then another one only seconds later and before I know it, the man in the black outfit is pushing me up the small set of stairs. I gulp and try to calm myself and I clutch on to the letter more strongly. Now I’m in front of him and I slowly put my letter on the table.

“Hello! Oh my god, Kat! I haven’t- Wow!” He says. He smiles his warming smile and I immediately feel something inside me stir and I get the urge to just give him a hug and cry in his arms, but I don’t. I smile a small smile back, and then I just give the note to him.

“It was nice to see you Niall,” I say to him. He doesn’t have time to say anything else because I’ve already started walking away without glancing at the other boys. Once I’m off the stage and I’m walking out of the Shopping Centre, I feel myself start to break down a little, but I also feel a little better. It’s over; I’ve finally let him go.

As happy as I am to have let him go, I feel tears streaming down my face. Gently, I wipe them away and I come to my car. Slipping inside and starting the car, I start to drive towards my flat. While I’m driving, I start crying with pain and laughing with relief at the same time. Pain because this is finally it and that he’s officially gone, and relief that I can finally stop crying and killing myself over him.

I know I must sound like a complete and utter fangirl, but Niall Horan of One Direction, was my best friend before X-Factor and One Direction. I was the one who convinced him to go on X-Factor, and even though we lost our friendship because of it, I’m still glad he went on and is now living his dreams. Maybe now that I’ve done this I can go on and live mine as well.

We were best friends. We went to school together, we lived by each other and our dads were best friends with each other. We had practically everything in common and we got on so well, I mean we were best friends since we met when we were four months. Even then my parents told me we got along very well, and I guess it was true because we were best friends for seventeen years. I mean we hung out every day together.

After driving for what seems like hours even though it’s only been minutes, I arrive at my flat. I park my car and step out and start to walk towards the stairs. I walk up them and soon arrive in my flat and once I do, I go straight towards the bathroom and strip off my clothes and get into the shower.

While in the shower, I become somewhat relaxed. At least now he has the note and I have some sense of finality. I can finally stop thinking about him. I mean, I didn’t obsess over him. After we stopped talking I got on with my life. I moved from Ireland to London, got an amazing job, and made new friends. My life was great, except for the fact that lost the closest person to me. I thought about him sometimes, but I tried to think of other things though eventually, my thoughts would run back to him.