King of Sumo

I remember the airport being crazy. Tall grown ups walking fast in every direction. Some, waiting for there bags in the endless merry go round. Others, making last minute preparations to aboard there flights. Then, in the midst of all of this a 10 year old boy. Not much taller than 5'4. But, had a big Buddha belly. My parents used to say it's because God loved me more than other people. So, I was a little bit wider. I used to believe them... Until they left me in the airport. On a unfamiliar land. Called Japan. I can't remember there faces. The last thing that I remember is my parents making a sudden turn and me trying to swim up stream. Trying to catch up to them running faster, and faster. But, eventually the stream won and my parents disappeared. I sometimes wonder if they remember that they left there only son in Japan. I scanned for hours and even days until it was a lost cause. An airport worker eventually realized I was lost. They tried contacting my parents. They even called my parents cell phones. No answer. But, marvin I believe his name was. He worked for the united states embassy. He shook his head and had to break bad news to me. My parents disconnected their cell phones and home phone. I was officially a homeless little boy. In a distant land. With a strange language I never ever heard someone speak in. I cried and cried until a shadow block the airport lighting.

I looked up quickly. Literally faster than a speeding bullet. I was praying to God that in front of me would be my parents. But, it wasn't. The man in front of me didn't look nearly anything like my dad. In front of me was an older man, he was chubby you could tell he ate at least a whole buffet in a day, he had absolutely no hair. But, his head glared like a newly polished bowling ball. I wiped away a tear and said hello. I was trying to hide the fact that I was crying. But, it was evident in my voice it was a little shaky. The man told me he watched me cry for hours. Then, he realized that I didn't have a home. He told me " I want you to come home with me. I can provide you shelter and all the food you can eat. But, there is only one condition. You have to sumo wrestle." I looked around the airport. I said " I can't I am waiting for my parents. "They will come find me any day now." The older man replied " than I shall wait here and see their return with my own eyes." Quickly 3 hours passed. Still no sight of my parents. It was evident that they weren't coming back. But, it was the small talk me and the old man did that made those hours feel like seconds. I learned that the old man had a name. His name was Sam Lycoyo. He trains kids to become elite sumo wrestlers. Sam was also missed place by his parents in Japan at an early age. He now calls this country his home. At 11:00 pm Sam had me pick up my bags and come with him. For I was beginning a new life! In a mysterious land I never knew.

Sam came into my room and woke me up. He said "I slept in to late." I gave a big yawn and stretched. The sun was beaming into my eyes. Then I went down stairs. Oddly enough I didn't see anything made for breakfast. I looked in the fridge and also saw nothing. Sam said with part of my training starting today I will not get any food to eat for breakfast. My stomach could have said otherwise. I swear to God I am not going to make it. Sam said I would be fine. Then, sam lead me down this long narrow hallway. I could have sworn if it was any smaller I would literally have to suck in my Buddha belly. Finally, we got to a door. He opened it. Behind the door was a big dojo. This room was bigger than 10 football fields with just circles painted on the floor. I observed them and wondered if those where the rings for sumo wrestling. Sam told me about the simple rules. He said it was pretty simple don't fall out of the circle or have any body part touch the ground. I stared in confusion in amazement that there were only two rules. I asked sam" are those the only two rules in sumo wrestling?" wondering curiously. Sam said a simple "No, there is also no low blowing, hair pulling , or striking the opponent with your fist."

After Sam gave me the low down of the rules. He summoned my first opponent. He seemed to train for a year or too. His Name was Yogi. Although he seemed to be a nice guy. He is ferocious in the ring. He nearly knocked me out of the circle a couple seconds after Sam had signaled to go ahead to begin the match. You could tell Sam was a little mad. He was disappointed that I didn't even fight back against Yogi. I extended my hand to Yogi. But, yogi slapped it away and told me " No, wonder your parents left you here in japan. You are A good for nothing sumo wrestler and I'll never be able to make it to the pro circuit." that was a low blow considering my parents left me hear only a few weeks a go. I can still remember there faces. Then, another thought dawned to me. What if they were looking for me. What if they flew back here just to come look for me. I decided that the thought was a little to good to be true. From there on I decided to wresle for my family and hopefully make enough doing it to go back to America and find my parents. Yogi's words lingered through my head. I told " him lets go a round two." Yogi replied bluntly and said " why so I can kick your @$$ again." I shook my head and stepped into the ring. I tryed to make heavy stomping signs to try to intimidate Yogi. But, I started to realize that stomping was just foolishness. Yogi got slowly into the ring. Sam told us to go and then all the sudden . I charged. Me and Yogi collided. I had my eyes closed from the impact. When I opened them a few seconds later. I had seen Yogi on the ground. I gave thanks to God because I knew this was the first step to reunite with my parents in America.