0.

Several people were out in the wheat field, surrounding the old rickety farmhouse. Beads of sweat dotted along Haiden's forehead as his pulse rushed through his veins, pumping with it adrenaline and fear.  He crouched as low as he possibly could behind a pile of discarded furniture in a dimly lit, dusty room. The rotting floorboards of the porch just on the other side of the wall creaked as someone put their weight on it, the sound sending Haiden's heart into overdrive.

"Come out, come out, where ever you are."

 Chills raced down Haiden's spine as the voice of Vincent teasingly called out to him. Vincent was greeted with nothing but silence which made his anger flare up inside of him. He pulled out a dagger and held it to the glass window as he glared out into the open field, almost daring something to move. After another moment of silence and with nothing moving, Vincent dragged the dagger down the window causing the ear splitting sound to shatter the peaceful night. Haiden clapped his hands over his ears and held his breath, fearing Vincent knew exactly where he was.

"Haiden!" Vincent hollered, his voice raw with anger and betrayal. "This is your last chance. Come out and I'll forget this ever happened. I will forgive you. We'll all  forgive you."

It was almost tempting. Almost. But Haiden knew what would happen if he went back, and he wasn't ready for that. He would never be ready for that. He knew that he either had to escape this farmhouse or die protecting the few he trusted.

A fist went flying through the window above his head, sending glass shards raining down onto him as Vincent screamed his name.

The air was thick with tension and dread with neither man speaking. Nothing could be heard except for Vincent's heavy breathing and approaching footsteps.

"Uncle?" Haiden felt like crying as he closed his eyes at the sound of the new comer.

Vincent heaved a sigh and turned to face the young woman who stared up at him with hardened eyes. "He's made his choice," he murmured. She looked down as he passed by her, patting her once on the shoulder as he moved toward the rest of the group. Haiden's heart dropped as he heard Vincent's simple command.

"Burn it."