London in Lights

• Dedicated to Lauren

"Why mother? Why?" I questioned my mother as we walked through the streets of London. "Why what dear?" She replied as she fixed the long sleeves of her dark brown fur coat. "Why are you making me walk all the way to the store with you? I'm fifteen now, I can manage myself at home. Plus it is like a five mile walk!" I tried to reason with my mother but she held firm. "You are still a young girl, and either way I need help carrying stuff back." I rolled my eyes to her response. "And if it rains?" I looked into the dark sky. It towered above us like a promise of death. Something seemed wrong to me today. It didn't seem like a normal storm day. I was brought back by my mother waving the red and white umbrella in my face. I had a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Sudden terror which told me to flee London. I wanted to run at full speed, never look back, run until this feeling was gone. i overlooked it and just continued the rest of the way to the store. My mother finally spoke again once we entered the store. "Grab the bread please, honey" I nodded and headed over to get the bread. I grabbed a loaf and went to where my mother stood in line. It was a small corner store so the line was two people long. After the man ahead of us checked out, my mother placed the few items we were buying on the counter. "Hello Gracie" the old man said from behind the counter. "Hi" I whispered staring at the bread. I quickly grabbed our bags as my mother paid, and I went outside and waited for my mother to come out of the store. I had nothing to say as we walked back. She looked back every once and again to make sure I was still there. A "you okay?" uttered here and there. We were about halfway home when the screaming of a diving plane broke the silence. It pierced through the clouds like a knife. My terror returned. It dropped what looked to be a large rock. The object fell until it disappeared behind the buildings. Then, explosion. First one plane. Then three, then five, seven, nine. All with their own boulders. London was transformed by each new flash, I lost count after fifty. "Dad!" I yelled. I dropped all the bags I held and started running into the light show towards home. "Gracie!" My mother yelled chasing after me. When I arrived home the building was rumble. I fell to my knees in tears. My mother caught up to me only a couple seconds later. She was breathing hard and out of breathe. Suddenly another scream. I looked up to see another boulder. My mom hugged me tight as I sobbed, "Shhh, everything will be okay, don't cry babygirl."