For Hades

Author's note: This is a mirror post from FFN. I've been wanting to post this on wattpad for quite a while now. Anyways, please do enjoy...

***

The introduction of Persephone was an eventful celebration for the gods and goddesses of Mount Olympus. Everyone welcomed the new babe with excitement. On pronouncing her name, the king of the gods smiled with the most affectionate glance a father could bestow a daughter. Not even the fuming Hera could reduce Zeus to abandon his eagerness in welcoming the new addition to his family.

The infant was meek and timid with her cries. Her eyes were of the greenest emerald bringing a fond remembrance of the earth's rich forestry. Her movements were few and counted. Aphrodite was certain. The babe will grow up to be one of the most graceful beauties in existence. To how Demeter could give birth to such a majestic sight, was a riddle for the goddess.

The gods of mount Olympus roared as Zeus held up the infant concluding the ceremony. There was no need to question how loved the young Persephone was. She need not utter a single word for Hestia to squeal in delight or for Apollo to smile proudly.

Everyone adored her, everyone but the eldest son of Cronus who saw nothing more how but how two sisters drift apart.

Hades never left his realms unless it was completely necessary. His presence to Persephone's welcoming led to the irrevocable smile of Zeus for having a daughter to receive such an honor.

Unlike the rest of them, Hades remained stoic if not indifferent to all the proceedings of the ceremony. He neither smiled nor roared with the other gods present. He simply watched at how Demeter held the infant lovingly in her arms after receiving it from Zeus. Whether or not she was aware of Hera's infuriated glaring, Hades wouldn't be the one to know. But if she was, all was disregarded by the presence of the new heavenly gift by the name of Persephone.

Hades cared more for his siblings than he was ever willing to admit. His attendance was concrete proof of that. He looked at Hera with that supportive forlorn expression which only those who knew him well, would consider as a reassurance. Everything will be alright, dear sister. Hera bit her lip, nodded and soon walked out from sight. Her absence was unnoticed by Zeus, uncared for by Demeter and overlooked by the rest.

Hades sighed deeply. He knew he had upset her by showing up for the welcoming of the young Persephone. He had let the births of Hephaestus and Ares to pass by without paying the slightest respect for either nephew. Hera tried to understand him for it. The affairs of the underworld will eternally pull her brother to its depths.

But for him to allot in his schedule a vacancy for the illegitimate girl? That one was inexcusable.

If Hera had the nerve to displease her eldest brother, she had long ago dispatched a pelican to gobble up that little brat whom everyone kept giggling about. That is, if the Olympian goddess would risk angering the Lord of the Underworld. So she composes herself, breathes heavily and exits with no further desire to join the festivities.

Regardless of how the other gods celebrated the occasion in fleeting happiness and equal delight, Hades couldn't help but be dismayed. Everyone was cheering for another one of Zeus' illegitimate children. Perhaps if the mother wasn't the sister of the lawful wife, things would be a lot more tolerable. But for Hades, he saw nothing more but a living reminder of one sister's betrayal and one husband's constant infidelity. Athena was standing close to him observing from the distance, the bundle of joy shared in the arms of the other goddesses.

"She is already everyone's favorite."

Everyone knew that the favorite of Hades was Zeus and that next to Zeus were his offspring. On that note, Ares and Athena reigned supreme; the former for his valor and victories in fields of battle, the latter for her intelligence and praiseworthy strategies in great wars. Both were devoted to Hades. Both had seen a father in the ruler of the undead.