Chapter: 1

Chapter: 1

I feel the rush of air through my hair. The ground is coming closer and closer. I blink before I hit the ground, waiting for the impact, but it never comes. As I open my eyes I'm looking up at a ceiling, I look down at my body which is all intact. I look at the rumpled silk sheets, they are a baby pink colour. It was a dream, I breathe a sigh of relief. Ever since I can remember I've been having a dream about me falling, and I always wake up just before I hit the ground. I've been told legends about dreams being real, so now I'm frightened of heights. I get out of bed to get ready for the first day of school. New year, new dreams, well that's for others, for me it's new year same dreams. Well that's how I look at it. I quickly get changed and walk into the bathroom, and flush my face with water. As I look into the mirror I notice the dark black rings around my eyes. I get out my makeup and try to cover them. When I finished I walk down the stairs and inhale the smell of bacon and eggs.

"Hello, Scarlet, didn't you get much sleep again?" My mother, Katherine, was standing in the middle of the kitchen with a plate overflowing with bacon and eggs. It took me a second to register the question and respond.

"Morning. I now know the makeup didn't work, we should swap brands." My mother only laughed in response and I quickly took the plate of bacon and eggs to the table and ate them in silence. After a couple rashes of bacon and an egg, my mum comes and sits next to me. Up close I see her eyes are bloodshot and puffy from crying and lack of sleep. It has only been a few months since my dad died, my mum is still upset, and ended up shutting everyone one out. My mum took an egg off the pile with a shaky hand and started to nibble the edges, she is so depressed, and just sits there in silence as she lets numerous tears roll down her pink, tear stained cheeks. She takes a few rashes of bacon and eats them quickly and stands up, and declares she will be waiting for me in the car. I run up the stairs clean my teeth, run a comb through my hair, grab my school bag and run outside to the car. I get in and my mother sits in the drivers seat staring into space, I tap her arm lightly and she looks at me in surprise as if she only just noticed I had entered the car. I raise my eyebrows at her, she faces the front with a slight shake of her head, getting rid of her earlier thoughts, and turns the car on.

As we drive down the road I have my own conversation in my head knowing mum won't talk to me. I think that, school is my best getaways, why do we even have holidays. I talk to myself and see the school ahead of us. I almost rock the car as I start to shake violently with excitement, this isn't the excitement of seeing friends but just getting away from everything that has happened, and just relaxing, using the school work to distract my own faults. To escape the fault with my father's death.