Bigger Than Life

One

     Dive-wheeling out of my blankets I jumped up. Damn, 8.30am. I should have been at the bus stop half an hour ago! It's never been this hard for me to get up on time in the mornings. I'm always awake as soon as my alarm clock sounds, and it doesn't exactly take me long to get ready. My Mum says I have always been a proper starry eyed student, never looking to cause trouble, always wanting to do well yada yada, oh did I mention she's my form tutor? By accident actually, something went wrong in the school office and they put us together. After all, the school would never allow it, but oh well, we got along well and nobody at school knew; I requested it so that she would not be there to embarrass me in front of my friends.

I threw on some ready-prepared clean underwear, my favourite dark blue skinny jeans, my paramore jumper with a pale pink tank top underneath, and my Purple converses. Rushing into the bathroom and brushing my teeth I realised just how late I was and just how much trouble I was going to get into, for the first time ever I had to say. Like I said, always good in school, I also never dress like this at school, I dress smartly, in knee length skirts and tights and dolly shoes, but that day I was in a rush and so things were different.

"Delphine, are you out of bed yet? I've been calling you for the last hour!" my mother complained  insistently from downstairs.

"Sorry Mum, I overslept." I replied sleepily, putting a comb through my hair and trying to get rid of all of the knots. Grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulder I rushed downstairs, gave my Mum a kiss, "Bye Ma'" I said and headed out of the door.

Suddenly I heard a voice.

"Hey, hottie" it called. I glanced up to see who exactly it was that was taunting me and noticed rather unfortunately that it was my arrogant arsehole of a  next door neighbour, Blake Green. He was the most popular guy in school and totally out of my league, but he would always do this to me, joking around, calling me names like "four eyed" because of my huge black glasses which Mum makes me wear. Or it would be "Nerd" or "Geek" or "Clever socks"; don't ask about that one, I don't know what he meant either. So him complimenting me came as a bit of a surprise. Sarcasm was my favourite language and I have always been fluent in it. Not that it was actually a language, but I'm sure you understand the euphemism.

I kept on walking, ignoring him, knowing he was only joking, and noticed satisfyingly that he had disappeared from the window.

"I let it fall, my heart and as it fell, you rose to claim it. It was dark, and I was over, until you kissed my lips, and you saved me" I walked along happily singing to myself Adele's Setting Fire To The Rain, and before I knew it Blake had come up behind me and was hugging me from behind.

"Come on girl, let me get to know you." he flirted, a rotten smirk sat there on his lips.

"What the hell Blake?" I turned around and slapped him around the face. I would not let anyone treat me like that, for any reason, whether it was for a joke or otherwise. There was recognition on his face. He looked stunned.

"Oh what the hell, Delphine? When did you become such a gorgeous girl?" he said, defending his red cheek.

"Blake, you don't like me, you never have so leave me alone, all right?" I retorted and was about to storm off when he grabbed my wrist.

"I wish I did, why have you never dressed this way before? You are fine!" he said, his eyes taking in every little inch of my body .

"Stop it!" I yelled, stopping him in his tracks by punching him in the arm. He looked up at my face, tried to look into my eyes.

"Try taking these off." he said, pulling my glasses from my face. He looked me over. "That's better, who would have thought that Delphine Breslin, the school geek, would be such an attractive girl?"