The Twisting House (Stories from Colony Drive, #4)

A new short coming up based on a recent recurring dream and inspired by the deliciously creepy classic, House of Leaves. We also get to revisit Jane (The Cemetery by the Lake) and Trina (Dusk to Dawn). It is the newest story in the Stories from Colony Drive series and will be released to Smashwords. :)

The house was a strange and somewhat morbid curiosity. It sat far back from the road, looming in the distance over the extensive grounds. Many viewed it from a distance, never daring to cross over the old bridge on the property, though a few brave souls did venture across, typically with the intention of obtaining video or photographs for their websites. The house made appearances on several webzines that covered strange and supposedly haunted areas throughout the country. One aspect of the house that intrigued many was its shape, managing to puzzle many skilled architects with how it could have possibly been built. The building was quite large, and seemed to be a hybrid of a castle and a tree, with its dark stone towers twisting like large branches. Many stories of the previous owner accompanied the house, and providing fascination for two young college co-eds as they drove toward it.

Jane and Trina had known Crystal from their college orientation up until the day she disappeared. The three girls would often hang out together, watching movies, going out for coffee, and even after Jane had met and began spending more time with Craig, the three girls often found time.

Around the time of Crystal's disappearance, she had been having problems with her boyfriend, who was attending college out of state. She began acting strangely as Jane's relationship with Craig began to blossom, seeming to avoid the other two girls especially if Craig was going to be there. This puzzled Jane and Trina. While they knew their friend was having problems, the two girls hoped that perhaps this wave would run its course. Normally situations like this one did. Hearts break, hearts mend, and hearts move on. But Crystal was becoming more of a recluse, constantly hiding in her dorm and not responding to phone calls from her other two friends. Three days after Craig proposed marraige to Jane, Crystal was never seen again.

She had left her personal effects behind, and there wasn't a note or any sign of why she had left. What was noted though, was the website up on Crystal's laptop on the night she disappeared. It was a ghost hunting website, and it was opened to the page that covered the twisting house.

More to come...