1: Heading Home

"That was stupid of Miki, getting rid of those old books," Amanda grumbled to herself as she crossed the street. The sky threatened to let rain fall any moment, and while Amanda had no interest in getting soaked, she was too tired to hurry home.

Amanda Young was what her classmates referred to as an otaku. She had crushes on guys who didn't exist, guys that were two dimensional in appearance yet still multidimensional in terms of personality. She didn't read many novels, aside from the classics, such as The Hobbit and Dracula, but she practically ate manga and it's animated counterpart, anime.

And right now, she was angry at her one and only friend, Miki, for throwing out her old volumes of manga, namely copies of Naruto and Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler.

"They were good," she said to herself, tugging at her ponytail of hazel coloured hair, "And Sebastian was in them...along with Kakashi and Deidara and..."

Amanda spent her teenage years alone. Her mother and father were rich, filthy rich, practically printing money up in Switzerland. They sent her presents and cell phones and dresses and clothes...but they never came home. That was all she wanted, really.

Thunder boomed and that was when the brunette picked up the pace, dashing towards her small home, one in a row of many similar accommodations. She fumbled with the key and that was when buckets of rainwater came down upon her. The day was only getting worse.

"Great," she said through grit teeth, thrusting the key into the keyhole and pulling open the door.

She stepped in, past the welcome mat, with sloshy sneakers and a soggy shirt that clung to her figure.

"I'm home!" She yelled into the empty house, "Hmph. Always alone."

Amanda shut the door and pulled her shoes off. She let her shoulders droop and her bag fell to the floor, in the middle of the hall. As she continued down the hall, she pulled her wet shirt off with a soft grunt, revealing the lacy black camisole underneath, and tossed it to one side.

She walked into the kitchen and peered into the fridge, grabbing a strawberry and sticking it into her mouth. She chewed it down quickly and grabbed another one before heading up to her room. It was nearly four in the afternoon, and it was a Friday, so she planned to spend the rest of the evening watching one anime or another.

"Hello, staircase," she drawled, listening as her voice echoed up and up, towards the heavens.

"Hello!" It yelled back. Amanda's eyes widened before she scoffed and dismissed it as a sign of her slowly increasing insanity.

"Hello!" She yelled back, plucking the strawberry out of her mouth taking slow, lazy steps up to her room. She drummed her fingers along the gleaming silver banister and gagged at the sight of a single strand of golden hair, which clung to the railing until she blew a puff of air and sent it sailing.

"Gross," she mumbled. She didn't have any pets, and her entire family consisted of brunettes. Maybe it somehow came from school, she thought.

She walked down the empty hallway and up to the closed, dark wooden door of her room. She couldn't wait to throw herself onto her bed and listen to music, maybe jam and play a little air guitar, before settling down for a pre-anime-marathon nap.

"Hello, room!" She exclaimed, throwing the door open.

"Hello!" Her room sang, she chuckled and walked in.

"Is that for me?" Her room whispered, making Amanda groan.

"I really am going crazy, aren't I?" She said to herself as she opened the closet.