Prologue: The awakening to the unknown

Prologue

My consciousness, very slowly, seemed to return to me.

I didn't even have strenght to open my eyes, i didn't remember ever having such an slow awakening.  Little by litle, I became aware of the weight of my body... my breathing, wich sounded so weak... the slight cold... the lack of strenght enveloping me... i even started to perceive that sluggish feeling as a cloud around my mind.

It was like those times when the alarm clock is sounding and you're awake enough to hear it, but not to stop it. Only that it seemed to last for... half an hour?

Then, finally, I foud the strenght to open my eyes.

At first i couldn't move my head to look around; what's more, just the effort of concentrating on what i saw made me dizzy. At first all i could see was a dark greyish color, after a while the dizziness got better and i realized that was the color of the ceiling.

What i saw left me with more questions than answers: It looked like i was in a cave of sorts... although with such an irregular shape, full of sharp forms, that it seemed unnatural. But, what was i doing in a cave? Last i remember, i was...

...what was i doing? And... who was i? I could remember nothing, and the effort to remember brought back the dizziness. I relaxed and let myself fall into inactivity again. It seemed quite obvious i was completely drained and needed to recover, before anything else.

And like this i waited another hour. Or so i thought at least; I had no way to tell the time.

When i opened my eyes again, i felt that cloud in my mind weaker. I could remember nothing still, and focusing my thoughts on remembering was hard, so i gave up on it... for now. I was still far from being able to stand, but i could move my head to look around at least.

First thing i noticed, for who knows what reason, i was naked. I guess that explained the slight cold; then again, the temperature was actually quite pleasant, actually... i bet if i had a thin cloth it would be perfect, not hot at all but not cold either. WIch was strange, in a cave.

Curious how logical thinking and deduction didn't tire me as much as trying to remember.

That thought made me wonder if i had received a blow to my head; just to be on the safe side, i focused on "feeling" if i was hurting anywhere, but nothing i could notice, no abnormality aside from that weakness. I wasn't even hungry, actually. Had i been drugged?

Then i observed my surroundings again. Hmm... if that was a cave, sure was an strange one. It looked more like an underground building excavated straight into the rock, considering the complexity of the space aroud; but there were two things out of place.

One, the walls were certainly unnatural yet at the same time, too... aggressive... to have been made on purpose.

Two, while i could see things like columns and stairs, i could also see cliffs, cages, bars... it seemed more of a weird dungeon than a building. Kind of... similar to... the temples on those old-school RPG videogames, i guess? But that didn't make any sense, not in real life...

...whas this even real life? Was i dreaming? It's a possibility, i guess...

And as i wondered where the dim source of light aroud was located, i saw a floating ball of blue fire float around. Like a ghost fire, slowly floating near the ceiling, as if it was patrolling the area.

Definitely too many mysteries to solve while laying down.

So i decided to try to rest and, after a few hours, i finally got the strenght to get up and, although quite sluggishly, move around.

Alright... time to find out where the hell i was.