Chapter One

Waking up late is never fun. Running out the door to a new place (without knowing where it is) isn't fun either. As I head into the mansion-sized house I get the feeling that I'm going to hate working here. My dad forced me to get a job for the summer but moving to a new area has left me with a job working underneath his boss.

Basically, I clean and file. I follow the smell of cigars to a giant office and find my dad's boss working on something.
"You're late," he says gruffly.

"I know, I know-"

"Because of that you've got a different employer. I can't have someone be late especially on the first day of work. So now you are going to work for my son. The maid will take you to his office."

"Oh, um thank you sir for allowing me to keep my jo-"

"Shut up and get out," he says ending the conversation so very nicely.

I follow the maid into many different corridors and finally she stops at a staircase headed down to what I'm guessing is the basement. She points down the staircase but doesn't say anything as she turns around and walks away.

I walk down the staircase being afraid for my life. I'm already terrified of this guy's dad and now I'm working for the son?
At the bottom of the stairs is a doorway. I go up and knock on the door with a resounding noise. Then, the door opens up to a slightly cute but more nerdy indivi-
"Heeeeeyyyyyyy what's up? So you must've been late. Got it. I could tell by your confused face. So come in and sit down," I follow him into the room and see the dark edges of the room that are exactly like his fathers office. Everything has a dark hue.

"All you have to do is do what I say. And since I'm busy right now I'm saying watch me work. Okay?" And so I sat there watching him work for what felt like hours. Really it was only forty-five minutes but time was going so slowly. Every time I tried to get out my phone or find something to interest me, he looks over and gives a disappointed look.

Finally, he finishes whatever thing he was doing and comes over and sits down.
"I'm Blake and hi. Sorry for the rudeness earlier but it had to be done. My work, I mean. My work had to be done," My confused look must have made him remember something.

"Oh right. You don't know what my work is. Well, I work for my dad. I'm in charge of the smaller departments in his giant financial advisor department. Annnnndddd I've also realized that maybe you should start heading out. I doubt you were supposed to stay for so long," looking down I notice that it has been almost two hours. The first day was supposed to last an hour! And now I'm going to be late to practice.

Running out the door to the stairwell is the easy part. Finding where the front door is is the hard part. Finally I find it after the creepy maid points me (doesn't speak) but points me in the way.
I run out and run to the theatre for choir practice. Our performance is tomorrow and I completely forgot this practice was a thing.

Luckily when I arrive they are still walking in to their places. I find my seat buddy María and start bursting with the news of my job.

María finally cuts in, "but is he cute?"

"Well, uh, I guess. I don't really know. He's just kinda there, you know?"

"So he is cute... got it."

After the practice, I follow her out and to her car. "I have a present for you. Since you are still pretty new to this town despite being here for a few months, I wanted to give you this."
She holds out a beautiful silver necklace with a giant red gem on top.

"It's called the heart of Aphrodite and it's supposed to help you find love. I find it in a cute little antique store around here and thought you might like it. Red like this definitely goes with all that blonde hair."

"Wow um," I say with tears coming to my eyes, " this is beautiful. Thank you so much. But I can't take this. It's too much."

"As my new best friend this is never enough."