Prologue

Hey everyone! This is my first book, so any critiques are much appreciated. Thank you!!

 . . .

On the whole, we are a murderous race. Don't you agree?

. . .

Piedmont County Journal

Sunday, May 27th, 1989

THIRD ANNUAL MURDER IN FAIRVIEW FALLS

The so-called "Lovely Killer" has struck again in the small town of Fairview Falls, located in Southern Piedmont County, VA. This is the third year running that such a murder has taken place, with locals referring to the victims as "Splintered Girls", due to the grisly use of blunt force trauma on the victims. Details are shaky and the possibility of the murders having been committed by multiple culprits has not been ruled out, but certain facts gathered at the crime scenes suggest that the murders have been committed by a single person, working without accomplices. The first murder (committed May 13th, 1987) of Nancy Travers (age 16, below) shocked and appalled the denizens of Fairview Falls. 

Last Saturday's killing marks the third to mar the nearly flawless crime record of this township, first settled in 1765. Police are still searching for clues that may lead them to discover who committed this third murder, of young Miss Piedmont winner Samantha Maynard. The victim was last seen with friends at the local (cont. page 18A)