Animal Farm Essay

How does the novel relate to the Russian Revolution in 1917?

Animal Farm is not just a story about animals-but a story about good ideas destroyed by jealousy, internal power struggles and deceit.

"Animal Farm" written by the author 'George Orwell' in 1945, is a novel based on the Russian Revolution. It tells a story about a society of animals living on a run down, neglected farm; also known as 'Manor Farm'. The farm is owned by Farmer Jones (based on Tsar Nicholas), who inherited the farm from his father. It was a very wealthy farm until Jones took control which is when it started to go 'down-hill'. Jones is an alcoholic who is never bothered about the animals but more about his drink. The animals notice how the humans are treating them and rebel, driving Jones out of his home. The animals take control and re-name the farm 'Animal Farm'.

In the first week, the animals create seven commandments:

1. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy. 

2. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend. 

3. No animal shall wear clothes. 

4. No animal shall sleep in a bed. 

5. No animal shall drink alcohol. 

6. No animal shall kill any other animal. 

7. All animals are equal. 

In charge of Animal Farm, are the pigs, as they claim themselves to be the most intelligent. The main pigs are: Old Major, the oldest and prize-winning boar who had started off the revolution and the idea of 'Animalism'. He is based on Lenin (he passes away at the beginning of the book). Snowball, an old pig who taught himself to read and write and is based on Leon Trotsky. Napoleon, the pig mostly in charge of the farm and is based on Stalin. Finally, Squealer, a small pig which becomes Napoleon's protégée (based on the newspaper Pravda rather than a person). All the animals follow the rules created by the pigs.

During the course of the story, the commandment are changed and adapted to suit Napoleon's wishes and needs. Eventually, when Napoleon got overwhelmed with power, started walking on hind legs, wearing human clothes, smoking a pipe and carrying a whip

only one commandment remained:

'All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.'

One animal in particular is Boxer the Shire horse. He is one of the most memorable and dedicated characters in Animal Farm. Boxer signifies the working class of Communist Russia. He is always pushing himself to work harder and has a constant motto 'I Will Work Harder'. Boxer's most obvious and impressive quality is his strength and stamina. He helped the most in building the windmill 'Nothing could be achieved without Boxer- chapter 5'. Boxer believed anything could be solved if he worked harder.

One thing that holds Boxer back is his lack of knowledge. Boxer is slightly dim-witted and this is shown by him only being able to remember four letters of the alphabet. I believe that Boxer's inability to learn hinted at a general level of education of the working class.

Boxer is a loyal supporter to Napoleon; he listens to everything the self-appointed ruler says and assumes, sometimes with doubt, that everything Napoleon tells the farm is true 'If Comrade Napoleon says it, it must be right- chapter 7.'

Boxer's great strength makes him a force to be reckoned with. This is dramatically shown when he made himself start work on the windmill earlier (half an hour earlier) and later than the other animals. This changed later on to three-quarters of an hour earlier 'He had made arrangements with the cockerel to call him three-quarters of an hour earlier in the mornings instead of half an hour- chapter 5'. He even helped build the windmill in his spare voluntarily 'And in his spare moments, of which there were not many nowadays, he would