Chapter 32 | I Need to Talk to You

I waited for Ray to pick up the phone. Ring after ring passed on the phone. The anticipation kept building up as I waited patiently for him to answer.

"Hello?" his husky voice answered slowly.

"Hi," I muttered.

"Do you need something?" he asked.

I guess we weren't making any small talk. It was understandable though. I did just kiss his best friend, after all.

"Can I come over and talk?" I asked.

I knew he didn't want anyone to be at his house because of his parents, but it was worth a shot.

He sighed. I could basically see the wheels in his head turning as he tried to decide if this was a good idea.

"Please?" I begged.

"Yeah, I'll text you my address," he said before hanging up.

I grabbed my coat and waited patiently for his text to come. It was time for us to have a proper talk. I might not have been completely ready and based on my previous actions, I could tell he wasn't either, but it had to happen sooner or later.

"Are you going somewhere?" Shane asked.

I nodded my head.

He sighed. "You're going to see him aren't you?"

I nodded again.

"Why?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "I know you don't like him, but I can't help what I feel for him. I've been trying to forget him. Trust me, I have, but he's the only thing that I think about."

"So, you're going to fix things with him?"

"I'm not sure. We're just going to talk things out and see where it goes from there."

"Jade-"

I looked at the palms of my hands. "I know, be careful," I stole the words right out of his mouth.

He nodded his head.

---

I made my way over to Ray's house a few minutes later. With every step, I took my heart beated faster. I knocked on his front door and waited for someone to answer.

The door creaked open slowly and revealed a shirtless Ray wearing sweatpants that hung dangerously low. He ran his fingers through his hair and let me in.

"Are your parents home?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, they're at work."

I nodded my head.

He led me to his room so we could talk somewhere. Once we arrived, I took a good look around. His walls were painted a navy blue and he had a big mirror on the left side of his bed. Football medals and helmets were displayed nicely on his mantel, and a picture of him and I framed right next to them.

It was a picture of us at his birthday party. His arms circled around my waist as he stood behind me and pressed me close to his chest.

"Smile!" A girl said, snapping a picture of Ray and me.

She took a look at the picture she had just taken. "It's so cute!" she exclaimed.

Ray's arms were still wrapped around me. I tilted my head up to look at him. His beautiful eyes stared into mine.

"Happy birthday," I whispered.

He chuckled. "Thank you. How are you so beautiful?"