the thin line between friends

I was laughing at something Jet had just said. I can’t believe I had him as a boyfriend. I had tamed the player. He had never gone out with a girl more than once, or so they tell me. Suddenly he stopped walking down the pavement we were walking down. I looked deep into his brown eyes. I looked at him expecting him to kiss me. But instead he put a worried look on his face. ”look. Um Katy. I don’t think it’s going to work out” he muttered untwining our hands. I let pain flood my face. “Why?” I asked quietly. What was going on? Was he just another heartless teenager using girls like items? “Because I can get girls twenty times prettier then you” he smirked. I felt something break inside me my breathing speeded my vision getting blurry with the tears that now filled my brown eyes. I nodded quickly before sprinting off in the direction I knew Brandon was in.

I ran up the hill and heard Jet call after me. I saw about ten figures crowded in one circle I pulled my phone out of my pocket and wiped away a few tears away to see the time. 6:30 Brandon would have just finished footy practice. I sped up and pushed the people in front of me aside. I needed Brandon. I ran over to Brandon and wrapped my arms around his torso crying into his chest. The guys from the team stopped talking to him.

“Shit! Katy what’s wrong?” he asked rapidly wrapping his arms around me tightly. He stroked my back I tried to calm down but I couldn’t get Jets words out of my head. “J-et” was all I managed to get out. He instantly let me out of his embrace and looked at my crying eyes. “What has that bastard done to you?” he asked tightening his jaw.

I wiped my eyes and sniffled my nose. “He dumped me because he said he can get tw-enty times prettier girls than me” I stuttered uncontrollably. His eyes went hard. And he pressed me back to his chest. “Later we’ll go beat the crap outta him see how many girls he can get when his face is distorted” he sneered at his teammates. I lifted my head up to look at his face. “NO! Brandon I don’t want to get my best friend involved with this” I demanded trying to sound strong but my voice broke on the last word. He laughed “oh darling he has crossed the line this time there is no way he isn’t getting some feedback this time” he smirked wiping away my tears.

When Brandon had his mind set. He had his mind set.

He drove me home dropped me off and sped into Jets houses direction. I sighed and unlocked the door. My parents lived a busy life with work. Dad was a director still trying to get noticed and mum liked to act in the movies he produced. They travelled a lot. It was just my big brother Brian and little sister Rita. Rita wasn’t much younger than me. Only by three months but boy did she act like she was five years older. She wore so much makeup that onetime I didn’t recognise her and I thought I was being mugged but more on that later.

My brother was a different story. He was a hard boy to connect with. He was asked out at least five times a day but always rejected them due to the fact he had an ongoing girlfriend. He was eighteen me and my sister are both sixteen. Brian didn’t like Brandon for some demented reason. Apparently he had a reason but refused to tell me.

It was ridiculous Brandon was the nicest guy out there. He was comforting and knew how to cool me. He was incredibly hot as well. Blond messy hair that according to him just needed a little shake in the morning and comforting blue eyes that I believed to hold magic powers to burn you face off with shame; make you believe his every word and the most effective eyes the puppy dog eyes the one you just couldn’t say no to.

“Hey Brian hey Rita” I mumbled as I shut the door behind me. I sound around to see Brian standing, screaming at some footy match on the TV. I rolled my eyes “WHERES RITA?” I screamed over the TV. He didn’t even look at me “making out with some bastard upstairs” he said casually pointing to the roof. Good to know nothing had changed when I had left.