Chapter 1

I was hiding in a room, terrified when a tremor came.It was strong enough to throw some metal piping from the ceiling, knocking me out cold.

When I came to I had almost forgotten where I was. I felt around in the darkness to find my bearings and when I touched somone's hand my spirits lifted. ' I'm not alone' I thought happily.

I pulled on the hand, only to completely pick it up and notice the blood dripping from the severed edge.

I screamed loudly and flung the hand away and in doing so a metal bangle around the wrist came loose. I picked it up, vaguely remembering a girl in my class wearing it but I couldn't remember who. But seeing the hand brought all my memories back. There was a class trip, I was going across the sea on this huge ship. Everything turned to chaos when one man, someone I never seen before, began attacking people with a hatchet. My friends and I hid in a room. A massive tremor racked the ship, it felt like there was an earthquake or like someone dropped a bomb on it. When I woke up, the ship was upside down and all the furniture, the structures and the vents had been broken down and laid haphazardly around.

I clutched the bangle to my chest, not knowing whether to call out and see if my friends were okay or to stay silent so that the killer wouldn't hear me. I was shaking now; it was cold and I was positive that the ship was slowly sinking.

The sound of metal on metal slashing jolted me, sending a sharp stab of fear through me. A beam of light entered in where someone had cut the wall. Someone was trying to get in! They slashed again at the wall in front of me, breaking it down.

I was so overcome with fear and panic that the man had come back to kill me that I tried to hide under the debris. Tears were streaming down my face as I squeezed my eyes shut. ''Emily.'' I heard someone say my name but it sounded far away.

'' Emily'' it said again, but I was too scared too look. ''Emily!'' the person shouted, grabbing my shoulder and shaking me. My eyes flew open and I saw Mason, a boy in my class holding a hatchet. '' Are you okay?'' he asked. My words came out as nothing more than a strangled whisper, and I had to furiously wipe my tears away. Mason looked unfazed. He had a small oil lamp and shone it around the room and I was greeted by the sight of dead bodies.My friends have been crushed by the falling structure. I somehow survived. ''Come on''. Mason ordered, snatching my wrist to lift me up and I had no energy to fight him. But I still managed to get the metal bangle and slide it onto my wrist.

''My friends..'' I tried to protest against Mason, but he wasn't listening. '' They're dead.'' He said coldly. '' No point feeling attached to dead people.'' He said rudely. I ripped my hand out of his. ''How could you say that?!" I shouted.

He turned around to face me, his expression dark and intimidating. '' Because they're dead. They cant help you. They're useless.'' He said. I clenched my teeth and felt myself grow hot with rage, so much that I curled my hand into a fist and aimed it right for Mason's face. I never really knew him before, he never spoke to anyone. He always kept to himself, so it came as a surprise that he was such a cold person.

My fist landed in a palm. Someone caught it before it could smash Mason's nose. I turned my head to see Kyle. '' Now isn't the time to be fighting. We need to figure out to save ourselves.'' He said calmly . ''But-'' I tried to argue but he cut me off by putting a finger to my lips.'' I know you're mad but we got bigger problems on our hands. I promise you can beat the shit out of Mason when we save ourselves but right now we should work together. Alright Emily?''

I gave in and nodded. The ship had capsized and was slowly sinking and there was a killer on the loose. Now was not the time. Mason huffed and began walking down the messy corridor and Kyle followed suit. I decided to follow too.

''Where are we going?'' I asked after a while of walking and letting my anger seep out. '' The cafeteria, Mr.Wilson told us to meet there in case of an emergency.'' Kyle offered. Mason shook his head. ''We're not meeting up with anybody.''

''Why not!'' I shouted at him. I had tried to contain my anger but it was impossible. He turned to me. ''A killer in on the loose and you want to shout as loud as possible and possibly attract him here?'' He asked incredulously.

I stayed silent, what the hell do I say to that? '' We don't know what the hell is going on, so until we do know, we stay hidden.'' he declared. Then he turned and began walking again as an indicator that he would take no more questions. I held in the urge to protest and followed him as Kyle was doing. After a few minutes of walking, I heard a loud, high pitched scream. It was coming from ahead. I turned to Kyle, '' We need to help!'' I told him.

But before Kyle could respond, Mason had already sprung into a sprint. I expected him to run away from the scream .... but he ran towards it. Surprised, I stood there for a few seconds before regaining my senses and ran with him.

I was too caught up with thoughts of saving the person who screamed that I didn't even check if Kyle came with us. Mason came to an abrupt stop and I bumped into his back. ''Why'd you stop, you stupi-'' I began but then stopped too.

Mr.Wilson, my teacher has gone mad! And he was attacking my classmate, Amy.